Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20,000 Bonus Citi ThankYou Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

20,000 Bonus Citi ThankYou Points

My account is enrolled in earn 20,000 bonus ThankYou Points after you spend $1,500 in purchases within 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $200 in gift cards. I paid my college tuition in the amount of $1887 on that credit card. I noticed they didn't give me any ThankYou points or the account opening bonus points. After I called and spoke with someone in China she told me that college tuition is not considered as purchase it's a payment. Does that sound right? To me it doesn't but I might be wrong.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: 20,000 Bonus Citi ThankYou Points

I thought you had a Double Cash but I'm assuming you also have a Thank You Preferred?

Anyway, as far as I know it still counts as a purchase. You spent money on the card. The rep is mistaken IMO. The bonus should come at statement cut when your points update.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
I thought you had a Double Cash but I'm assuming you also have a Thank You Preferred?

Anyway, as far as I know it still counts as a purchase. You spent money on the card. The rep is mistaken IMO. The bonus should come at statement cut when your points update.

Yes I do have Double Cash and Thank you Preferred is my new account. I think the same. I will try to call them again.

Message 3 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

Unless they've changed things, college tuition has always counted.  The CSR you spoke with is likely misinformed.  Citi TY bonus points do not post until after your statement cuts.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Statement cut off yesterday. They gave me only 8 points for using my card at Dunkin.

@Open123 wrote:

Unless they've changed things, college tuition has always counted.  The CSR you spoke with is likely misinformed.  Citi TY bonus points do not post until after your statement cuts.

Message 5 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Statement cut off yesterday. They gave me only 8 points for using my card at Dunkin.

@Open123 wrote:

Oh wow, so you don't see the bonus points listed on your statement?  I assume, your tuition has been charged and has posted on the statement?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Oh wow, so you don't see the bonus points listed on your statement?  I assume, your tuition has been charged and has posted on the statement?

I don't see the bonus points and my tuition was posted since I paid it few days ago. My statement balance was $1891 and tuition charge was part of it.

Message 7 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I don't see the bonus points and my tuition was posted since I paid it few days ago. My statement balance was $1891 and tuition charge was part of it.

Of course, I assume you made the charge within the alloted 3 months and checked to make sure your account was tagged with the 20K bonus?  If so, then (1) Citi has earmarked "tuition" as a cashlike purchase, or (2) CSR was misinformed.

From my experience, if the bonus doesn't post, it's not going to.  You should call and follow up again.  If the answer is still no, then write to the EO and plead your case.  In my view, tuition is and has always been coded as a purchase, not "cash" transaction.

Best of luck!

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.21.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.21.23 PM.png

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Of course, I assume you made the charge within the alloted 3 months and checked to make sure your account was tagged with the 20K bonus?  If so, then (1) Citi has earmarked "tuition" as a cashlike purchase, or (2) CSR was misinformed.

From my experience, if the bonus doesn't post, it's not going to.  You should call and follow up again.  If the answer is still no, then write to the EO and plead your case.  In my view, tuition is and has always been coded as a purchase, not "cash" transaction.

Best of luck!

Yes I had till end of March. Bonus points aside they didnt even give me Thank You points for using the card. I am on hold since last 16 minutes with them. Hopefully it would be resolved in this call.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.