Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20's - How should I proceed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

20's - How should I proceed?

hi, all! i've gotten plenty of good advice on this site by reading through posts.......but i'm curious as to your thoughts as to what i should do next.

ii'm in my 20's, still a student (grad school). i haven't paid for a "proper" credit score (but do check my credit report annually). i use credit karma ("fako") and it tells me i'm at 720 (i was at 770 in sept, but i applied for 2 cards, amex-denied, and cap1-3K but now i read i shouldn't have applied for it).

I have 8 hard pulls on my credit report currently. I've been denied by AMEX and the REI visa card. i don't have any loans/debt; i don't have any car payments; i rent (500/mo.) with an annual income of 30,000; my utiliziation is pretty low, around 10% and i always pay in full and never carry a balance.

i don't know if i should be "gardening" or applying for another card (or two) that give rewards while i have the 8 inquiries already on my credit report......

here's what i'm working with (date opened) - Card - Credit Limit

09/2010 - PNC VISA - 8500 (just moved credit over to one and closed another from PNC)

12/2010 - Discover - 3000

05/2011- Citibank Platinum - 7500

05/2011 - Cap 1 - 3000

06/2011 - Chase Sapphire - 10000

what should i do now???? help! my goal is to get the best credit possible to be able to get the best mortgage rates possible (and car stuff). i also like the thrill of trying to get as high of a credit score(s) and credit limit as possible. i also want at least 1 more rewards card (i'm thinking either of the southwest cards, the rei card, any other suggestions?)

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: 20's - How should I proceed?

@Anonymous wrote:
hi, all! i've gotten plenty of good advice on this site by reading through posts.......but i'm curious as to your thoughts as to what i should do next. i'm in my 20's, still a student (grad school). i have paid for a "proper" credit score (but do check my credit report annually). i use credit karma ("fako") and it tells me i'm at 720 (i was at 770 in sept, but i applied for 2 cards, amex-denied, and cap1-3K but now i read i shouldn't have applied for it). I have 8 hard pulls on my credit report currently. I've been denied by AMEX and the REI visa card. i don't have any loans/debt; i don't have any car payments; i rent (500/mo.) with an annual income of 30,000; my utiliziation is pretty low, around 10% and i always pay in full and never carry a balance. i don't know if i should be "gardening" or applying for another card (or two) that give rewards while i have the 8 inquiries already on my credit report...... here's what i'm working with (date opened) - Card - Credit Limit 09/2010 - PNC VISA - 8500 (just moved credit over to one and closed another from PNC) 12/2010 - Discover - 3000 05/2011- Citibank Platinum - 7500 05/2011 - Cap 1 - 3000 06/2011 - Chase Sapphire - 10000 what should i do now???? help! my goal is to get the best credit possible to be able to get the best mortgage rates possible (and car stuff). i also like the thrill of trying to get as high of a credit score(s) and credit limit as possible. i also want at least 1 more rewards card (i'm thinking either of the southwest cards, the rei card, any other suggestions?)

I think you should be gardening for awhile. You have alot of open TL's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 31
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Go to the garden club right now. That's what I suggest.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would garden and let some of those tradelines age and inquiries fall off. You have some great cards and lines!

Message 4 of 31
dalebb
Valued Contributor

i know its fun to get what u want, but u look like u have enough, chill outSmiley Surprised

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol, ok, i'll hang out and let things mature a bit........well, that was easy peasy.

thanks!!

any suggestions on 1 new card i could get with good rewards (with low or no AF)??

Message 6 of 31
dalebb
Valued Contributor

amex

Message 7 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

lol, ok, i'll hang out and let things mature a bit........well, that was easy peasy.

thanks!!

any suggestions on 1 new card i could get with good rewards (with low or no AF)??

AMEX is a good choice (Zync)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

zync is a "charge card" right? how do credit bureau's take into account the expenditures per month for utilization?

Message 9 of 31
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

zync is a "charge card" right? how do credit bureau's take into account the expenditures per month for utilization?

i ran up 4k+ on it and let that report then PIF,, i believed it helped with later cards b/c u have to PIF every month,,, and the AF is only 25 bucks and u get in the door with amex

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.