Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$200 Target Red card

tag
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

$200 Target Red card

Yay! Got the Target Red Card, I'm happy since we spend lots of time at Target.  Got $200 CL (like everyone else).

Has anyone gotten an increase upon opening the account?

I applied online and now I am waiting for the card to come in the mail.  I was thinking of calling when it gets here and asking for a higher CL...I will take anything, even $50. 

Has anyone had success with that?  I don't care about the Target Visa, I just feel like $200 isn"t going to help much.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $200 Target Red card

scottie_mommy wrote:

Yay! Got the Target Red Card, I'm happy since we spend lots of time at Target.  Got $200 CL (like everyone else).

Has anyone gotten an increase upon opening the account?

I applied online and now I am waiting for the card to come in the mail.  I was thinking of calling when it gets here and asking for a higher CL...I will take anything, even $50. 

Has anyone had success with that?  I don't care about the Target Visa, I just feel like $200 isn"t going to help much.

Congrats on your approval!

Target doesn't take customer-initiated CLI requests, and they definitely don't give CLI at activation.  The $200 you got is the same initial CL almost everyone gets these days.  There is no apparent rhyme or reason to who eventually gets a CLI and who doesn't.  Many people report getting a CLI to $500 after the third statement, while others are passed over completely.  It doesn't appear to have anything to do with how often you use it, either.  I use mine almost every month, and it took me 14 months to get my first CLI, but that one took me straight from $200 to $1K.

Do a search for "Target CLI" for hours of reading entertainment.

Congrats again!

Message Edited by cheddar on 11-10-2008 01:15 PM
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The Target Red Card won't allow for manual CLIs. They only do automatic CLIs and that's a crap shoot at best. There's not too much logic behind it.

Most do get a CLI within the first 1-1.5 yrs though.

I'm never ever going to recommend this, but DW got a CLI in her first month. She got the card and spent over $200 on her $200 CL. The purchase was declined. She then put stuff back and then made a purchase under $200. The next month, the CL went to $500. She has now had $500 for about 1 yr with no CLI since and my card is stuck at $200 at 1 yr.

Message 3 of 5
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

WOW llecs.

That's one way to get a CLI, lol.

I guess I will cherish my $200, like everyone else and hope for the best.  With the crazy APR it is probably better this way.  That way I can always afford to PIF. 

Message 4 of 5
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

I just got the same card! My GF got one a few years ago and they gave her a $500 CL. One month later they upped her to a Visa and a $1500 CL.

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.