Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Financial Resolutions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2015 Financial Resolutions

1. Continue gardening (may extend into September to reach a full year in between my last app as opposed to my current June end garden date)

2. Continue lowering utilization (started at 97% in July, down to around 30% now)

3. Actually start contributing to my savings account and IRA

4. Join NFCU

Message 21 of 127
flawesome
Contributor

Lots of people with IRAs around. I take it that means lots of people working for companies that don't offer matching 401ks. I know there are other reasons, but I have to think a matching 401k would beat an IRA for most people.

| BoA BBR 5k | Discover it 1k | freedom 2.2k | Fidelity AMEX 1.5k | Sallie Mae 1k | AARP 2.2k | BJ's PPlus 3.7k |
Message 22 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

@flawesome wrote:

Lots of people with IRAs around. I take it that means lots of people working for companies that don't offer matching 401ks. I know there are other reasons, but I have to think a matching 401k would beat an IRA for most people.

Smiley Tongue

Mine matches up to 5%..

Message 23 of 127
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@flawesome wrote:

Smiley Tongue

Mine matches up to 5%..

Mine does up to 6% and then an additional 4% non-discretionary at year end, for a total of 10%.  To say the least, I am taking full advantage.Smiley Tongue

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 24 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

@navajomyst2003 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@flawesome wrote:

Smiley Tongue

Mine matches up to 5%..

Mine does up to 6% and then an additional 4% non-discretionary at year end, for a total of 10%.  To say the least, I am taking full advantage.Smiley Tongue

Oh, Lucky you! Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine would be to get the limit of my Chase Freedom card increased to over $1,000. It was stuck at $200 from May 2010 (when I was approved) until last week. They sent me an email to apply for an increase and it only went up to $400... The limits of my other cards are infintely higher. I don't really know how to approach this though. 

Message 26 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

I resolve to never carry a balance, not even for one month.

I resolve to do my best to max out my IRA.

I resolve to garden as planned until April, then pick up one more card before gardening until graduation.

Message 27 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

My employer matches fully on 2% then half of the next 4% (so not exactly the best plan) so after that I am going to put the next 4% in IRA. 10% is a personal goal I want to start getting comfy with. We will se how I adjust after considering the other goals like funding a house and starting a business…

Also, I always do an annual audit of costs. Reasses my budgets for the year with goals. Credit and Finance wise I already have action items every month for the next two years, a master plan that I have been optimizing as I go. 
Message 28 of 127
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Pretty boring...

1. No new inquiries

2. Pay down a couple 0% balances as they come due

3. Pay down installment debt

4. Pay off DW's student loans

5. Save money

6. Close, or downgrade, all AF cards (except for my last point)

I am actually planning on apping for the PRG in the next week or so and using it exclusively.  I have things getting very heavy with work and a growing consulting business that I simply can't manage multpile accounts, all spending will get moved to PRG with auto pay set to PIF each billing cycle.  As I told DW, "simplifying life for a little while" but the financial benefit of a really crazy year will pay off big time.  I'll move back into racking up points once I have the time and money to travel.

Message 29 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

@flawesome wrote:

I work for a very small company that offers a SIMPLE IRA, with matching from the company. I like it better than the 401k's I've had in the past.

After house is bought, increasing my contributions to that IRA are high on the list. Right now I just match the matching. Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 127
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.