Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Credit Card New Year Resolutions!

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: 2018 Credit Card New Year Resolutions!

@Gidgetmom wrote:

Happy New Year everyone!

My new year credit goals are:

Garden (with exception of a possible HP for a Chase cli);

See if Discover will give me an auto cli at the 3 month mark and then smash the luv button if they do;

MAYBE ask Chase for a cli on my SWRR as I’ve  had it for 2 years in February with no luv;

And, finally, let my two Comenity store cards go (I don’t use them, but they were good early on in my rebuild).

After those two CLI’s, I will not ask for any more.  Chase and Discover are my lowest at $3000 and $7000 respectively.  All other cards are over $15,000 and I don’t see a need, or ability, to use more than that with my spend.

I had an aggressive year in ‘17 while building my profile.  Time to kick back and let it age!

See ya in the new year!  Much love 💕 

Even if the CLI is not automatic, at least log into your account and see if the SP language is there. If yes, request a CLI; and if it's automatic, immediately call and double dip. GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 61 of 133
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Watch inquiries drop like flys (from the 18yo should have checked Myfico first phase)

APR reductions from Discover. Maybe get one Discover card over the 5k mark

Pay down my balance transfer and 0% APR Discover spending. Apply for the Citi Simplicity late in the year( If I have not paid Discover/ balance transfer off in full)

I already achieved my goal of getting over 10k on a bankcard

Sit back and hope things pick up on myfico reading about other peoples successes curves my credit applying addiction

Passing along some great advice that was given to me. Instead of applying for the Simplicity, apply for the Diamond (unless you already have it) because with the Diamond you can PC; the Simplicity doesn't allow a PC.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 62 of 133
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Moneyklutz wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, Game of Thrones Visa would be sic, backed by the Lanisters perhaps? Smiley Wink

You know nothing Joe Snow...  Interest is coming  Smiley LOL

LOL, and a HAHAHASmiley Happy Dare i say, quote of the year? Smiley Wink

Message 63 of 133
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol, Game of Thrones Visa would be sic, backed by the Lanisters perhaps? Smiley Wink

Iron Bank of Braavos, my lord.

@Anonymous for starting this awesome thread, @Anonymous.

I, too, have modest means, and current credit is already half my annual salary.  

1. No more CC inquiries in 2018.  Hopefully my car will hold another year.
  2. Combine AMEX limits once eligible.  CS Rep said, "too new" to combine and thin.
  3. Combine BofA cards, getting rid of Cash Rewards since it assesses foreign transaction fees.
  4. Maximize 401K. Work is finally matching 100%.
  5. $500 per month savings for travel.

Thank you!  Wishing you all the best, and will update once I've made progress!

Awesome goals Sleepless. I guess end goal credit wise is for that day i NEED to buy a new car, i can get the best rates. Ill continue to maintain my 14 year car til she says no more. Not having a monthly payment helps alot. But one day, one day, dare i say, heated seats hahaha!

Message 64 of 133
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Hey everyone, being the end of 2017, figured id start a quick thread where you can lay down your New Years Credit Card resolutions.

Ill start:

My New Years CC resolution is
A) reduce overall credit cards in wallet and exposure
B) do not solicite ANY credit limit increases, SP or HP....sorry Navy ill miss ya this yearSmiley Wink
C) continue Pif mentality/ ie reduce debt tooSmiley Wink

There you go pretty simple but not so easy considering ill be eligble for sp increases with Citi and Amex sometime this year. Apr reductions maybe possible too but i want to achieve a year of not bothering my creditors lol. I hope i can make it, Lets do thisSmiley Happy

WTG AJC! Great 2018 resolutions and thanks for starting this thread.

Since my goal is to buy a home in June, my resolution is not to charge anything on my credit cards that's not needed until I have closed on a house. Before I charge, I'm going to stop and ask myself a simple question -- is this a need or a want? And if it's the latter, it will be a no go. 

BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR HOME CREDITINSPIREDSmiley Happy You can DO ITSmiley Happy

Message 65 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

2018 Goals:

Fico scores up to 740 across the board (gonna need a 30-40 point bump)

$50,000 Total Credit limits (one card should do this)
Message 66 of 133
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Hey everyone, being the end of 2017, figured id start a quick thread where you can lay down your New Years Credit Card resolutions.

Ill start:

My New Years CC resolution is
A) reduce overall credit cards in wallet and exposure
B) do not solicite ANY credit limit increases, SP or HP....sorry Navy ill miss ya this yearSmiley Wink
C) continue Pif mentality/ ie reduce debt tooSmiley Wink

There you go pretty simple but not so easy considering ill be eligble for sp increases with Citi and Amex sometime this year. Apr reductions maybe possible too but i want to achieve a year of not bothering my creditors lol. I hope i can make it, Lets do thisSmiley Happy

WTG AJC! Great 2018 resolutions and thanks for starting this thread.

Since my goal is to buy a home in June, my resolution is not to charge anything on my credit cards that's not needed until I have closed on a house. Before I charge, I'm going to stop and ask myself a simple question -- is this a need or a want? And if it's the latter, it will be a no go. 

BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR HOME CREDITINSPIREDSmiley Happy You can DO ITSmiley Happy

Thanks AJC Smiley Wink

Message 67 of 133
arkane
Established Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I'm not quite done apping but I definitely will keep a much lower profile than I did last year.  That's a pretty easy goal.  Aiming for 5 new accounts max.

Also I've racked up over $700 in AF due over the course of next year.  I need to reduce that by via downgrades or grovelling for waivers/retention offers... hopefully by maybe half.

Don't spend extra dollars to earn pennies. Don't fall into the debt trap. Don't pay interest.

And lastly try to stop thinking and planning so much and actually enjoy our big vacation in October.

+1 

+2

Although I will say extra spending is ok if prepaying for necessities (gas, groceries, utilities etc) and you have the means to PIF.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 68 of 133
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I realize other goal would be somehow, someway, find a way to take some sort of vacay this year. I need itSmiley Wink
Message 69 of 133
arkane
Established Contributor

I realize other goal would be somehow, someway, find a way to take some sort of vacay this year. I need itSmiley Wink

Ask for a 3 month temp ban from here. Smiley HappySmiley LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 70 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.