Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$20k CLD from Capital One

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: $20k CLD from Capital One

@Anonymous wrote:

Happypill says, “I think the business decision for them is that they're not likely to make any money off someone who carries no balances.” I don’t agree. Sure they make more money on those balance carrying interest charges, but credit card companies definitely make money in other ways that involve transactions.

Y

Not sure if that is what Happypill meant (maybe) but my take since this is in the context of zero or small balances REPORTING on non-CAP One cards, the person may not be a heavy user of credit cards anyway (since most people don't pay until after the statement cuts) so even if traffic switched to Cap One card, not much profit from transaction fees.

Message 41 of 43
happypill
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Happypill says, “I think the business decision for them is that they're not likely to make any money off someone who carries no balances.” I don’t agree. Sure they make more money on those balance carrying interest charges, but credit card companies definitely make money in other ways that involve transactions.

Y

Not sure if that is what Happypill meant (maybe) but my take since this is in the context of zero or small balances REPORTING on non-CAP One cards, the person may not be a heavy user of credit cards anyway (since most people don't pay until after the statement cuts) so even if traffic switched to Cap One card, not much profit from transaction fees.

Yeah, you guys are both right.  I have some other cards I use heavily and no doubt those companies are happy with the swipe fees; however I often pay before balances post so other companies may not see all the usage.  From Capital One's perspective, I'm not using their cards and they may not be able to see my other spend.  The risk of a $30k limit probably isn't worth the minimal upside.

What I wonder about actually is after CLD if they'd approve me for another card down the road.  They don't have any cards in their portfolio currently I'm interested in using, but I'd be happy to continue collecting nice sign-on bonuses.

Message 42 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think a CLD due to non-use (or light use) would have any bearing at all on a potential future app with that same creditor.  If the CLD came because of the introduction of a baddie to one's credit report, that's a different story and could impact a future app.

Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.