Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25 Years Citi $124,300 Limit Card & Store Cards

tag
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Re: 25 Years Citi $124,300 Limit Card & Store Cards

I was one of the ones who recommended you consolidate the old Dividend card and the new Prestige since there was no point of having them both (and insane limits on them).  So not only did they combine them into a single product (makes sense), they CL'd you again(!) to $123,500 total and then CLI'd your three Citi store cards to over $100K combined?  So all of your Citi credit line combined is like $235K+.  That is not to be believed.  And that's not even all the cards you carry!

I think you win the credit game here.  No one outside of the Centurion card holders even come close to credit lines like this.  The rest of us are not worthy. Smiley Happy

What I really want to know is what your Fico scores wind up being after all this stuff shakes down to the credit agencies.  If anyone can get close to the mythical 850 number, it's you.

Message 21 of 37
JP1950

@Sevenfeet wrote:

I was one of the ones who recommended you consolidate the old Dividend card and the new Prestige since there was no point of having them both (and insane limits on them).  So not only did they combine them into a single product (makes sense), they CL'd you again(!) to $123,500 total and then CLI'd your three Citi store cards to over $100K combined?  So all of your Citi credit line combined is like $235K+.  That is not to be believed.  And that's not even all the cards you carry!

I think you win the credit game here.  No one outside of the Centurion card holders even come close to credit lines like this.  The rest of us are not worthy. Smiley Happy

What I really want to know is what your Fico scores wind up being after all this stuff shakes down to the credit agencies.  If anyone can get close to the mythical 850 number, it's you.

Thanks for the advice before. I did see it added up to more then what they would be so I thought maybe that’s what they did. I was pretty suspired they said ok to all 3 store cards as well. Has somebody tell me I should try for the Visa Black card and see what happened. Smiley Surprised Any ideas? I never enen thought of it but I would end up using its free in airlines thigs alone. 

Message 22 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@JP1950 wrote:

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Thanks for the advice before. I did see it added up to more then what they would be so I thought maybe that’s what they did. I was pretty suspired they said ok to all 3 store cards as well. Has somebody tell me I should try for the Visa Black card and see what happened. Smiley Surprised Any ideas? I never enen thought of it but I would end up using its free in airlines thigs alone. 

Visa Black by Barclay? TERRIBLE WORTHLESS CARD

American Express Black? By invitation only.

speaking of credit profile... what other cards and limits do you have?

Message 23 of 37
JP1950

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JP1950 wrote:

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Some of my other cards include:

Well Fargo Visa Sig - $28,000 ($0 Balance)

Wells Fargo Out-Door Solutions Visa - $14,500 ($0 Balance)

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $24,000 (Always PIF)

BOA Visa Sig - $29,000 (Always PIF)

Barclay Master Card - $16,500 ($0 Balance)

American Express PRG - NPSL (Always PIF)

Discover Card - $15,800 (Always PIF)

US Bank Visa - $12,000 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

US Bank Visa Sig - $28,500 (Always PIF)

Capital One Master Card - $8,000 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

Capital One QuickSilver Visa Sig - $32,400 (Always PIF)

Wal-Mart Card - $5,800 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

Kohls Charge - $7,500 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

JCP - $8,500 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

Macy's - $8,200 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

Message 24 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

well if you need anymore from capital one you can send email to presidents office for manual review!

Message 25 of 37
JP1950

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Do you think it would go up from that or down with how much the limit went up?

Message 26 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@JP1950 wrote:

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Do you think it would go up from that or down with how much the limit went up?

Considering your in the 800's already and had no INQ and no new accounts for 2+ years, you will actually probably go down!

but it will come back!

Message 27 of 37
cottontop
Contributor

I would say your BOA card is ripe for an increase with your stats.  After Citi reports new limit, call them up.  They are super friendly and seem to have been handing out good CLI's lately.  I bet you could get 50k out of them.  Pulled TU on me, seems to be the norm for CLI's, so wouldn't doulble up on the citi pulls.

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 28 of 37
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@JP1950 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JP1950 wrote:

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Some of my other cards include:

Well Fargo Visa Sig - $28,000 ($0 Balance)

Wells Fargo Out-Door Solutions Visa - $14,500 ($0 Balance)

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $24,000 (Always PIF)

BOA Visa Sig - $29,000 (Always PIF)

Barclay Master Card - $16,500 ($0 Balance)

American Express PRG - NPSL (Always PIF)

Discover Card - $15,800 (Always PIF)

US Bank Visa - $12,000 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

US Bank Visa Sig - $28,500 (Always PIF)

Capital One Master Card - $8,000 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

Capital One QuickSilver Visa Sig - $32,400 (Always PIF)

Wal-Mart Card - $5,800 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

Kohls Charge - $7,500 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

JCP - $8,500 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

Macy's - $8,200 (Not Used) ($0 Balance)

I'm not sure why I'm even encouraging you at this point, but here goes: Smiley Happy

You've got a lot of plastic (so do I).  I try to only do cards that are actually working for me and hopefully long term.  For example, most of my cards are cash back cards that save me money in some way shape or form (usually by major category.  Used properly, my wife and I figured we're save about $2000 in year one and less in subsequent years (after initial promotions).  I have a few cards in my collection that are doing things financially short term that I'm not happy about having just because I cannot see using them much after 2014.  

My Citi Thank You Preferred is one of them (ironic to this conversation).  My 25 year relationship is with Amex, not Citi....my first Citi card is this year.  Compared to my other cards, the Citi Thank You points program doesnt save me nearly as much money as some of the competitors.  But they did offer me a 21 month 0% deal and I'm all about using other people's money interest free for long periods.  Since my wife and I had some debts we wanted to park while her business gets off the ground, it made sense.  But I'm not sure what I do with the card in terms of spending after Jan 2015 (hopefully it will be a better product by then).  The same goes with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card.  I hold an Amex Platinum which is a great travel card and I really didn't need a new travel card with an annual fee attached.  But again, they made me a great offer and I'll be using those bonus points to take the family on vacation this Christmas.

I bring this up because I look at your list and I see a lot of stuff that you probably never use and is duplicative.  Take the Wells Fargo Visa Sig and the Wells Fargo Outdoor Solutions Visa.  I have that same Outdoor Solutions Visa that my wife took out when we had to replace our HVAC system this summer.  It is a CRAP product with an intentially horrible interest rate and virtually no other benefits outside of the original home improvement mission, which is usually 6-15 months same as cash.  I'd call Wells Fargo and have them consolidate that CL into your Visa Sig card you have with them and close the Outdoor Solutions card.

The same thing could be said with the US Bank Visa and US Bank Visa Sig.  No need to have both around...completely duplicative.  Have them roll the credit limit of the Visa into the Visa Sig and call it a day.  And that Capitol One card?  Roll that into the brand new Quicksilver card they sent you...again, not necessary to keep both.

Not sure which BofA Signature card you are carrying..the Cash Reward card (which I need to upgrade to) or the Priviledges card they offer.  I never liked the Privs card since it had an annual fee and that annual fee ate into the cash back amount you would get by using the card (and the 50% extra cash back bonus isn't enough to mitigate the annual fee if you do the math).  There are a few Merill Lynch card that BofA offers (and you don't have to be a ML customer to apply) but honestly, none of their products offer you any incentive over the other stuff you have now.  I would ask BofA for a CLI in a month or so after your credit reports catch up to your new credit reality.  It can't hurt and they have upped me before based upon what my other cards have been doing.  I'll probably ask for another CL in 2014.

If Discover hasn't CLI'd you in a while, I'd be curious as to what they would do with you (once your credit report catches up with reality).  They are hilariously conservative although there is at least one person on this board with a CL in excess of $40K.

I would only entertain upgrading the Amex Card to Platinum if you travelled enough to make it worth the $450 cost (namely Delta Sky Club or Admirals Club access).  Otherwise don't bother.

Not sure which Barclay's card you have.  Arguably the best one is the Arrivals card with is 2 points on all purchases (but with a $89 AF after year 1) or the Rewards Mastercard (1% with no AF but 2% on gas, groceries and utilities).  I'm not sure if you even care about how much cash back you get at your station in life and its possible this is sitting in your wallet underutilized.  I use my Fidelity Amex as my go-to card for everything miscellaneous since it's 2% for everything with no AF (but not all utilities take Amex).  Lots of people use Barclay's cards for similar uses.  And I agree about the Visa Black thing...overpriced for what you get.  Amex Platinum is probably a better deal and they actually enumerate what airport lounges you get and it's a proven product.

I'd probably sock drawer the store cards at the bottom of your list...not worth your time.  It's not necessary to close them since they cost you nothing to hang around.

Message 29 of 37
ZeroChance
New Contributor

This thread has inspired me to ask for credit line increases on my credit cards.  I have one BofA credit card that is 20 years old, but I do not get regular auto CLI.  How does one even justify needing a credit limit so high?

ZC

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.