Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd AMEX card eyeballed but which will get approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2nd AMEX card eyeballed but which will get approved

Thought they didn't do backdating anymore?
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as to the credit bureaus, they don't.

Message 12 of 19
klarso11
Regular Contributor

I got my Delta AMEX in June. Asked for double cli and got it in September (should have asked for triple). In October looked at what AMEX suggested on website while logged in and applied for BCE...approved for double what my Delta card is. I love AMEX!
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slund5499 wrote:

Been eyeing a 2nd Amex card, but have been handed the boot for HIlton, Starwood, Blue, Plenti, blue cash, everyday and 2nd Delta since August.

Every decline has been due to FICo scoring. Now I have to admit that I had no business applying as my EX score dropped from 667 to 645 due to recent app spree.

My last app spree was May where I picked up Venture, Discover, Amazon, Banana republic, Shell and Keybank, plus several Commentiy SCT accounts.

My Ex score jumped back up to 672 and my utilization dropped to 23.5%. My November app spree still has $2,400 yet to report. The additional reportings will bring my utilization down to around 20%.

So I am lurking around the boards and trying to decide which card to go for before Jan 1st (hoping to get the backdating going into 2016).

I have had my delta card since Feb 2015 (currently carry a zero balance) and finally got Amex to report to Experian. Took 3 phone calls and a letter to get it to report.

Have not had the luxury of getting any CLI out of Amex yet. I try 2-3 times a month.

Should I try for another Delta account? My first Delta was $1K with a 673 Ex fico.

Any advise on the next recommended card.

maybe the PRG if you are lucky. Only reason I'd say do it before jan 1 would be the airline credit. I see no reason for anyone to have two delta amex cards. Best advice is to garden so you can get approved more easily. its not that hard to wait.

Message 14 of 19
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A.  Wondered why thread on first page when last post 11/24. 

B.  OP is definitely working under false pretenses, they do not back date.

Signature needs updating
Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@slund5499 wrote:

Been eyeing a 2nd Amex card, but have been handed the boot for HIlton, Starwood, Blue, Plenti, blue cash, everyday and 2nd Delta since August. Seven (7) denials says stop apping AMEX, There is no second card for you yet.

Every decline has been due to FICo scoring. Now I have to admit that I had no business applying as my EX score dropped from 667 to 645 due to recent app spree. Correct observation.

My last app spree was May where I picked up Venture, Discover, Amazon, Banana republic, Shell and Keybank, plus several Commentiy SCT accounts. These need to age as well.

My Ex score jumped back up to 672 and my utilization dropped to 23.5%. My November app spree still has $2,400 yet to report. The additional reportings will bring my utilization down to around 20%.

So I am lurking around the boards and trying to decide which card to go for before Jan 1st (hoping to get the backdating going into 2016). There is no more AMEX backdating. The Member Since year on your card will be "15" but the date opened, as reported on your credit report, will be the day each card is actually opened in the year actually opened.

I have had my delta card since Feb 2015 (currently carry a zero balance) and finally got Amex to report to Experian. Took 3 phone calls and a letter to get it to report. Do you let a balance report on the statement then pay in full by the payment due date? Or statement shows zero every time? Do you use the card?

Have not had the luxury of getting any CLI out of Amex yet. I try 2-3 times a month. If you are declined a CLI, you have to, you MUST wait 91 days before trying again. Not just wait 91 hours Smiley Happy

Should I try for another Delta account? My first Delta was $1K with a 673 Ex fico. No. One Delta with the $95 AF is plenty.

Any advise on the next recommended card. Best advice is to do nothing until July 2016 at the earliest. Let the AMEX age (presuming you are using it regularly which you should be), pay the Delta $95 AF, and let the last spree age a year.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@slund5499 wrote:

Select cards that suit your needs/wants.  Don't just apply based on what you think you will get approved for.  We're not AmEx underwritiers so we can't tell you what you qualify for and what you do not.  You can look at the Credit Pulls Database but keep in mind that it's never just about score.

@slund5499 wrote:

Every decline has been due to FICo scoring. Now I have to admit that I had no business applying as my EX score dropped from 667 to 645 due to recent app spree.

My last app spree was May where I picked up Venture, Discover, Amazon, Banana republic, Shell and Keybank, plus several Commentiy SCT accounts. 

Any profile will only support so much activity.  That's a lot of new credit.  IMO these are signs that you need to give it a rest and build with what you have.

What do you specifically need/want from a new card?  From your OP it seems like you're just applying to get a new card.  Don't put the cart before the horse.

@slund5499 wrote:

So I am lurking around the boards and trying to decide which card to go for before Jan 1st (hoping to get the backdating going into 2016).

Is this why?  There's no backdating anymore.

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as to the credit bureaus, they don't. 

That's the definition of backdating.  If it isn't reported to the CRA's it isnt backdating.

Message 17 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@slund5499 wrote:

Been eyeing a 2nd Amex card, but have been handed the boot for HIlton, Starwood, Blue, Plenti, blue cash, everyday and 2nd Delta since August.

I have had my delta card since Feb 2015 (currently carry a zero balance) and finally got Amex to report to Experian. Took 3 phone calls and a letter to get it to report.

Have not had the luxury of getting any CLI out of Amex yet. I try 2-3 times a month.

Should I try for another Delta account? My first Delta was $1K with a 673 Ex fico.

Well this is kinda futile to say the least. 1st. There is no more backdating period. Sure it will say member since on your card but has no affect on your credit report. It will still show up as a new card. if you really want a 2nd amex i would just wait until my scores were over 700 and give it a try.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand that, but I worded it that way for the benefit of people who confuse the Member Since date with backdating. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.