cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd CLI on First Navy Federal Credit Card.

tag
YoungB718
New Contributor

2nd CLI on First Navy Federal Credit Card.

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find an anser to this particular question.  I app'd and was approved for a Cash Rewards card late last year and recieved a (5k) initial limit.  93 days later I recieved a SP CLI to (22k).  Fast Forward 3 months...I app'd and was approved for the GoRewards Card (8.5k).  Last Friday made 90 days since opening of the account so I recieved a SP CLI on that particular card, putting my new limit at (18k)...not what I was expecting but a significant increase none the less.  My question now is, "When am I elgible for my 2nd CLI on my original Cash Rewards Card?  I'd like to take it to a cool 25k but not if it means a HP.

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa: $10k|| PenFed Travel AMEX: $5k|| NAVCHEK: $15k|| US Bank Cash+ : $10k|| Citi Thank You Preferred: $9.7k|| Lowes: $35k|| PenFed Promise Visa: $11.5k|| Navy Federal Platinum: $22k|| Navy Federal GoRewards: $25k || PenFed LOC: $5k|| Capital One Venture: $15k || Barclay Reward Visa: $2.7K|| Chase Freedom: $10K|| Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10k|| Chase Freedom Ult'd: $6.8k Boscov’s: $11.5K|| PenFed Thrifty Credit: $500|| Discover IT: $2,800|| Wells Fargo Cash Wise: 8.8k||
Beginning Score:600 / Current Scores: EQ-735, TU-744, EX-744
Goal Score:800 Across

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2nd CLI on First Navy Federal Credit Card.

I believe you can request a cli every 6 months after each cli success. The only time it's a soft pull is when the request was auto approved. If it requires additional review there is a high chance of a credit pull. There are those few who would call in to cancel the cli request but it would still be too late.

Btw, Congrats on your increases! I'd be golden if I could get those SP jumps off the bat.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes; 6 months for next CLI and could be SP after a fresh AR. Going above 25k will require a HP
Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dont understand why getting a hp for a 25k card with Navy is too much to ask for. Almost 27k in sp luv and still not enough. I dont know sometimes i think Navy spoils us too much. Congrats on all your success with Navy, wish you more, but sometimes one should be content with what they're given and take it in stride. Not too many cards can you go from 5k to 25k in 3 months Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I dont understand why getting a hp for a 25k card with Navy is too much to ask for. Almost 27k in sp luv and still not enough. I dont know sometimes i think Navy spoils us too much. Congrats on all your success with Navy, wish you more, but sometimes one should be content with what they're given and take it in stride. Not too many cards can you go from 5k to 25k in 3 months Smiley Wink

+1   Ain't that the truth!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Thank you! I didn't want to sound mean lol. 

Message 6 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I was approved for the Go Rewards card with a starting limit of $23,500 at the end of April and have been running all my everyday spend on the card to get the 20,000 promo points (within 90 days). Some of my monthly spend is automatically on other cards such as my GM Card and Chase/Barclays so it's not 100% of my monthly spend, but gas, food, dry cleaning, etc are going on the card. So far I'm averaging about $1500 a month (no problem hitting the $3000 - 90 days, I'm at something like $2500 right now).

Will I hit the luv button at the end of July? Yup, I will and I suspect it'll take me to $25,000, no more. Considering the fact I'm spending $1500 a month on the card, $23,500 is more, way more, than enough but a free SP CLI ... why not? Will I take a HP to go over $25k ? nope, will I apply for a second NFCU card? nope. I can see going for the gold if there is no HP, but frankly my starting limit is more than I actually need - so I see both points of view. Of course I have a bunch of cards already with limits of $20k or more so in fact chasing higher credit limits is really just for the ego-fun of it.... guy's gotta have a hobby Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
YoungB718
New Contributor

Throughout your little lecture, you failed to even answer my sole question.  The only advice I asked for was related to the amount of time I have to wait in order to get another SP CLI.  I didn't ask "you" for your personal opinion as it relates to what I should or should'nt be content with. FYI, I've put atleast 10k through each of my cards in the first 3 months and have a substantial amount in savings with them.  I've been a member for 13 years so please dont confuse me with one of the nubies to NFCU.  Some of you guys kill me.  By the way, there's no need for a response.

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa: $10k|| PenFed Travel AMEX: $5k|| NAVCHEK: $15k|| US Bank Cash+ : $10k|| Citi Thank You Preferred: $9.7k|| Lowes: $35k|| PenFed Promise Visa: $11.5k|| Navy Federal Platinum: $22k|| Navy Federal GoRewards: $25k || PenFed LOC: $5k|| Capital One Venture: $15k || Barclay Reward Visa: $2.7K|| Chase Freedom: $10K|| Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10k|| Chase Freedom Ult'd: $6.8k Boscov’s: $11.5K|| PenFed Thrifty Credit: $500|| Discover IT: $2,800|| Wells Fargo Cash Wise: 8.8k||
Beginning Score:600 / Current Scores: EQ-735, TU-744, EX-744
Goal Score:800 Across

Message 8 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Public forum

already a thread on Guide to Navy Federal cli and additional cards

Too many times we think we "deserve" more because of what we make and spend on a card. Not always the caseSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry, but I didn't view AJC's response as a lecture -- just an overall observation and wondering out loud.

You have been very fortunate getting SP CLIs because NFCU is HP hungry. I always assume a HP with them. If you get additional SP CLIs, jump for joy because honestly, it's not the norm. Now there is the possibility that POI may be requested.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.