2nd Credit AMA [Ask me anything] live with user @Broke_Triathlete

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Re: 2nd Credit AMA [Ask me anything] live with user @Broke_Triathlete

@Anonymous wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
i am sorry if this is on the boards already, but what was your "unicorn" card? (your dream card that you thought wasn't reachable)

Well, I still haven't reached it yet. I've always wanted an Amex (To me it's the "AHHHH, I've arrived" type card), and still not sure which card I'd want from them. But nothing can happen until March of 18'. Hopefully they drop the BR requirement down to 4 years instead of 5 though. I'm not a big spender and don't really want Ron1's profile or Credit Adict's that have a ton of cards to manage. However I think it's awesome they manage all of those accounts. 

Was Amex included in your bk?

No just BOA, which I'm ok with. I no longer bank with them for the simple fact that I was going and freezing all of the data miner companies reports they had on me and there was one report that had a daily running balance of my BOA checking account for years. I was so in awe that I closed the very next day. So to me that was sort of a blessing in disguise. There is no reason that BOA should be giving my daily balance to 3rd party data miner agencies. I closed my other 3 accounts prior to the BR. I swore off anything regarding credit while I was going through it. Then I found these forums and the rest is history!

Personal:

Business:

Message 21 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

Hi there, wow that is an incredible journey. All the stories I read about people stealing someone idenity and taking over their credit life span, each story sounds like a nightmare. I am curious like yes its me said, has your dad owned up to this? and did you forgive him? Man, it would take a bigger person than me to forgive right away but mabye down the road. Its crazy how these things happen and most of the time its not a random occruance.

How did you strategize your clean up effort? 

EDIT- i just saw your anwser the question about your dad Smiley Happy 

I am curious to the answer as well... 

Message 22 of 81
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I hope this is okay to ask -- I know you said you had a hard time finding a job after graduating, what did you study in school? I've run into the same problem! 

Also, do you have specific goal scores? (Ie- 800 Club, mid-700s) Or do you just want to naturally see how high your scores will get?

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 23 of 81
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

Hi there, wow that is an incredible journey. All the stories I read about people stealing someone idenity and taking over their credit life span, each story sounds like a nightmare. I am curious like yes its me said, has your dad owned up to this? and did you forgive him? Man, it would take a bigger person than me to forgive right away but mabye down the road. Its crazy how these things happen and most of the time its not a random occruance.

It really was a nightmare but I'm fortunate that I was not depending on credit. It happened in a time where I didn't need credit. It took me a while to speak to him again, but we are on good terms now. Actually we're closer than ever. He's currently battling stage 4 liver cancer. I will tell you since his diagnosis I haven't even thought much about what he did to me. I know it sounds twisted but my credit situation doesn't really matter much to me in the life and death situation of my dad. It's still frustrating, but I'm trying to enjoy my time with him.

How did I strategize??? Well, to be brutally honest, because my BR was not due to my financial over extension I felt that I didn't need to let things age off my reports in time asd I would if I was the cause. I did what I could to get the collections and stuff off of my reports (hence the other board I am a member of). Now the only thing still on my reports are negative student loan accounts that will fall off next year. I know it's not "glamourized" to try to beat the system, but I felt like it was not a clear picture of me and my responsibility. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 24 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

It really was a nightmare but I'm fortunate that I was not depending on credit. It happened in a time where I didn't need credit. It took me a while to speak to him again, but we are on good terms now. Actually we're closer than ever. He's currently battling stage 4 liver cancer. I will tell you since his diagnosis I haven't even thought much about what he did to me. I know it sounds twisted but my credit situation doesn't really matter much to me in the life and death situation of my dad. It's still frustrating, but I'm trying to enjoy my time with him.

How did I strategize??? Well, to be brutally honest, because my BR was not due to my financial over extension I felt that I didn't need to let things age off my reports in time asd I would if I was the cause. I did what I could to get the collections and stuff off of my reports (hence the other board I am a member of). Now the only thing still on my reports are negative student loan accounts that will fall off next year. I know it's not "glamourized" to try to beat the system, but I felt like it was not a clear picture of me and my responsibility. 

Sorry to hear about your dad's cancer.  Holding a grudge does not accomplish anything as life is too short.  Before filling bk, did you try to reason with the companies coming after you?

Message 25 of 81
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Re: 2nd Credit AMA [Ask me anything] live with user @Broke_Triathlet

@Anonymous wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My second question to you is how did you find myFICO and what convinced you to join the board?

I remember this distinctly. I remember googling, "How to remove collections off of your credit report?" and found a thread on here. I never realized there were forums dedicated to credit topics. I'm on 1 other credit board that I rarely frequent because I enjoy this board the most. People here, for the most part, are very helpful and not so condenscending like the other board I'm on. The positive atmosphere here is quite refreshing...

Oh good.  Glad you stuck aroundSmiley Happy.. But when you say for the "most part", what does that mean?  Please be candid with your answer.  There is no right or wrong answer to it...

I am too. All I mean by that is only 2 members have gotten snippy with me when I was replying to other peoples threads. I'm not losing sleep over it or anything. It's one of those things where a member (me) goes in to help answer a question of the OP and instead of coming in and helping as well, they birate myself or other people how their answer isn't correct or what not. Thus basically wasting thread space and also the 10 seconds of my life that I'll never get back by reading their response haha. 

We all have to understand that we're all here to help each other. The egotistical know it all's aren't the end all - be all of credit knowledge. I always check my ego at the door when I'm signing in, or anywhere really. We all should to create the friendly enviroment that we all know and love.

Personal:

Business:

Message 26 of 81
ddemari
Super Contributor

oh wow, i am so sorry about your dads battle with cancer. i am sure you ahve learned a lot and most importantly family first and money and other things second. sounds like you have come a long way. When I had collections on my reports I tried and tried to good will them and dispute what I thought was inaccurate, but it never got me anywhere. It sounds like you have some patience and in a year your reports will be better looking it sounds like! thanks for sharing. 

Message 27 of 81
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

I hope this is okay to ask -- I know you said you had a hard time finding a job after graduating, what did you study in school? I've run into the same problem! 

Also, do you have specific goal scores? (Ie- 800 Club, mid-700s) Or do you just want to naturally see how high your scores will get?

No problem at all. Anyone can ask me anything. I'm an open book.

I majored in business management and business marketing. I also minored in economics. As far as goal scores I'd be happy with anything over 720 because to my understanding at that point you're already qualifying for the best rates and anything over that are just bragging rights.

Personal:

Business:

Message 28 of 81
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Very interesting story that you have.  Have had a few friends that grew up very wealthy or so they were lead to believe this.. Long story not just one, but two of my friends dads ended up essentially ended up being frauds(not saying this is case with your dad, but similarities in the ultimate story) and also got credit opened under their names and put in the exact same situation as their parents were essentially living a pyramid type lifestyle and they knew nothing about their credit state until it was to late.  Very simliar story with one of them as well going to graduate school  at thunderbird international school of management mega expensive and parent was suppose to take care of it and well you know how that worked out.  

Anyways, I have watched your progress since being on this forum and seen you progress very nicely with your rebuild and I applaud you on a job very well done so far!  No real questions for you, just wanted to give you Kudo's on the situation  you pulled out of and how well you are doing now.  Also appreciate the advise you have paid it forward to others as well.  Keep up the good work!

One question, not sure if it was asked... Assume part of your name came from being a Athlete?   Have a crazy friend that does Iron man, no way will this one ever do every the bike portion of one of thoseSmiley Happy

Message 29 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2nd Credit AMA [Ask me anything] live with user @Broke_Triathlet

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My second question to you is how did you find myFICO and what convinced you to join the board?

I remember this distinctly. I remember googling, "How to remove collections off of your credit report?" and found a thread on here. I never realized there were forums dedicated to credit topics. I'm on 1 other credit board that I rarely frequent because I enjoy this board the most. People here, for the most part, are very helpful and not so condenscending like the other board I'm on. The positive atmosphere here is quite refreshing...

Oh good.  Glad you stuck aroundSmiley Happy.. But when you say for the "most part", what does that mean?  Please be candid with your answer.  There is no right or wrong answer to it...

I am too. All I mean by that is only 2 members have gotten snippy with me when I was replying to other peoples threads. I'm not losing sleep over it or anything. It's one of those things where a member (me) goes in to help answer a question of the OP and instead of coming in and helping as well, they birate myself or other people how their answer isn't correct or what not. Thus basically wasting thread space and also the 10 seconds of my life that I'll never get back by reading their response haha. 

We all have to understand that we're all here to help each other. The egotistical know it all's aren't the end all - be all of credit knowledge. I always check my ego at the door when I'm signing in, or anywhere really. We all should to create the friendly enviroment that we all know and love.

Aaah gotcha.. There are always people who are going to be like that you know especially on the internet. I always tell people you might be shocked at the person behind the computerSmiley Very Happy..

But glad you were put off by that and stayed.

Message 30 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.