Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Credit AMA [Ask me anything] live with user @Broke_Triathlete

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2nd Credit AMA [Ask me anything] live with user @Broke_Triathlete

Great thread thus far and great to know you that much more. You have certainly been though some things and have come through the other end.

When (if...perhaps) you have kids...what are you going to instill in their minds about credit?

Message 51 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for sharing your story. I, too, had my identity stolen by a parent (both of them actually) and had my credit jacked as a result.  Congratulations on your success with rebuilding your credit and I wish you the best on the road to recovery!  

@Anonymous,

Sorry to hear.. You have made some really good progress.

Message 52 of 81
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Re: 2nd Credit AMA [Ask me anything] live with user @Broke_Triathlet

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

I have a question.. Why didn't you file a police report? And have this all taken care of without having a bk? Because it sounds like to me your father stole your identity...

I didn't file one because I know he didn't have intentions for things to turn out the way they did. Plus I wasn't going to arrest my dad. While a lot of people would I couldn't look in the mirror and know I did that. He has to stare at himself everyday and come to terms with what he did. But I don't. 

He certainly did steal my identity. 

ouch! I understand, but he did comit a crime, ive been helping my parents clean up their credit reports after a family member stole their id a few years ago, and agreed its never easy!

i'm curious, how much debt did he rack up in your name? before you filed bk.

Yes he absolutely did no doubt about it. WIth the 2 BOA cards, utilities, etc it was just over $100K. 

ouch!! thanks for sharing your story, its certently en eye opener.. for my dad, when i helped him through filing his police report they didn't even ask if he knew who stole his id, its always good to have this knowledge incase someone other than your father actually does get ahold of your personal information, i certently hope you wouldn't file bk again for someone else, not trying to be mean, if its coming off that way please tell me..

im curious, did your dad just make up some income when he filled out apps? because i think when you file bk the trustee would not like someone who lied about their income to get generous credit lines with no means of repaying it (im a bit of a noob, only 19... so forgive me if what im saying is incorrect.)

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 53 of 81
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

I have a question.. Why didn't you file a police report? And have this all taken care of without having a bk? Because it sounds like to me your father stole your identity...

I didn't file one because I know he didn't have intentions for things to turn out the way they did. Plus I wasn't going to arrest my dad. While a lot of people would I couldn't look in the mirror and know I did that. He has to stare at himself everyday and come to terms with what he did. But I don't. 

I haven't logged in for a minute but HAD to to give you EXTRA kudos!

Good for you!

Message 54 of 81
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great thread thus far and great to know you that much more. You have certainly been though some things and have come through the other end.

When (if...perhaps) you have kids...what are you going to instill in their minds about credit?

Thank you so much for the kind words. What will I teach them? The cold facts about it. The CC companies don't have your best interest at heart and will nail you with interest, etc. Also more importantly that credit cards don't count a source of income, so use them sparingly. Outside of credit that still has to do with finances is to build up a savings and you'll no longer stress about money anywhere near as much as 80% of the Americans that live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to write a $600 check. Finally, to live below your means. Living above it does nothing but get you into trouble. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 55 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

My other question for you is, since joining the board, what are some of the things newbies do that make you cringe?

Message 56 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for sharing your story. I, too, had my identity stolen by a parent (both of them actually) and had my credit jacked as a result.  Congratulations on your success with rebuilding your credit and I wish you the best on the road to recovery!  

@Anonymous,

Sorry to hear.. You have made some really good progress.

Thank you. I've worked hard to fix it, no doubt, but I've also just been really lucky with approvals.

I have to say though, my experience with parental identity theft is nowhere near as bad as the OPs (Twelve 180 day late payments on bogus student loans -- bad, but nothing compared to the hell the OP has gone through).

Message 57 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK DCED 9/15..Foolishly chased a car loan till I got one! Dec got a Cap One with steps and its like I'm addicted to Credit Card crack! After what seems like 12000 apps..Ive figured out I've screwed up! My question is...what is the best way to get off the crack and let what I actually do have grow?
Message 58 of 81
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@willwar14 wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

ouch! I understand, but he did comit a crime, ive been helping my parents clean up their credit reports after a family member stole their id a few years ago, and agreed its never easy!

i'm curious, how much debt did he rack up in your name? before you filed bk.

Yes he absolutely did no doubt about it. WIth the 2 BOA cards, utilities, etc it was just over $100K. 

ouch!! thanks for sharing your story, its certently en eye opener.. for my dad, when i helped him through filing his police report they didn't even ask if he knew who stole his id, its always good to have this knowledge incase someone other than your father actually does get ahold of your personal information, i certently hope you wouldn't file bk again for someone else, not trying to be mean, if its coming off that way please tell me..

im curious, did your dad just make up some income when he filled out apps? because i think when you file bk the trustee would not like someone who lied about their income to get generous credit lines with no means of repaying it (im a bit of a noob, only 19... so forgive me if what im saying is incorrect.)

No you're fine trust me. He was making 6 figures so he wouldn't lie about that but I don't know what he would have done if he had to verify it. Keep reading here. You'll learn more than you thought possible from these boards.

Personal:

Business:

Message 59 of 81
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@OMW2_HighAcheiver wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

I haven't logged in for a minute but HAD to to give you EXTRA kudos!

Good for you!

Thank you so much. It's been a long road, that's for sure!

Personal:

Business:

Message 60 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.