Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd NFCU Credit Card?

tag
Supermama75
Valued Member

2nd NFCU Credit Card?

Does anyone know how many NFCU credit cards you can have?  Also, I want to apply for a second card (Flagship rewards) but I'm a fairly new member and already have Cash Rewards (Signature version) and a NavCheck line of credit.  Am I moving to fast with them?  They have an awesome balance transfer offer right now, so ideally, I'd like to have one card for balance transfers and one for purchases.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

Re: 2nd NFCU Credit Card?

@Supermama75 wrote:

Does anyone know how many NFCU credit cards you can have?  Also, I want to apply for a second card (Flagship rewards) but I'm a fairly new member and already have Cash Rewards (Signature version) and a NavCheck line of credit.  Am I moving to fast with them?  They have an awesome balance transfer offer right now, so ideally, I'd like to have one card for balance transfers and one for purchases.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance?

I've seen people on here with 3 NFCU cards. You can have mutliple cards but be warned that NFCU may decline it on the spot or increase the interest on the 2nd card (usually happens with new accounts)

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 2 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

What's your current limit on credit card and for how long?

What your nav limit and for how long?

EQ score?

Message 3 of 34
raydmercer2345
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the GREAT INFO Creditaddict! I applied for the cashRewards card the day I opened up my checking a savings account just a little over a month ago. I only put the minium amount ($20) to open the accounts and still have only that amount in the accounts today. After I got the "under review" status, I sent them an email asking them for a status update. Later that day received a message that I was appoved for $20K. I transferred a few balances from other cards (only about $300) and used the card here and there. My current balance on the card is $800 and I have my first payment coming up in a few days. My credit scores are all FICO's Equifax-730 Transunion-745 and im not exactly sure about experian, but im am assuming it very close if not the same as equifax becasue it was last month. My overall utilization with all my cards is under 10%. I would like to apply for another card (which one do you recommend)  and for the overdraft LOC with NFCU. Can you share your thoughts as to what my chances are for getting approved for either one or both? Should I wait a certain amount of time? Should I put more funds from my other bank into my checking account with NFCU to help my chances? Thanks so much for your help!

Message 4 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

the Loc will be approved for $15k hands down.

2nd card - pick any of the non flagship cards because more than likely it will be denied but then secure message them and move $1k of your current line to open the new card or if you want flagship sure go for it but you will have to give up $5k or more of your current line to get it open... but you can probably get that line back and more in 3 months during CLI!

Message 5 of 34
raydmercer2345
Regular Contributor

Thanks again! Do you find it better to call in or apply online for instant approval on LOC? Do you have any experience with auto loans from NFCU? 

Message 6 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@raydmercer2345 wrote:

Thanks again! Do you find it better to call in or apply online for instant approval on LOC? Do you have any experience with auto loans from NFCU? 

as much as i love navy I HATE(okay find them annoying) almost EVERYONE i talk to when I call... I do everything in this world not to call most places I deal with!

Message 7 of 34
raydmercer2345
Regular Contributor

Just got instant approval for $15k LOC! Thanks so much creditaddict and others! These forums are amazing! GREAT INFO! 

Message 8 of 34
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

go get a GoRewards card and get the 15k points for 1.5k spend then PC that to a Flagship in 6 months 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 9 of 34
raydmercer2345
Regular Contributor

1GADAWG.....Not sure I understand? Are you saying I should go ahead and apply for a go rewards? How much time did you wait in between your first card and your second card before applying. I would just like a second card with another high limit....doesnt really matter what card. Just want to have the best shot at getting approved with the highest limit. Thanks!

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.