cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Citi offers - which one to choose from?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 Citi offers - which one to choose from?

Well, for a change, this is a good problem I have.

Got two back to back mailer for Citi Thank You Preferred Card:

1. 0% Intro APR on purchases 21 months and 20.24% Variable APR after that

2. 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months and 21.24%

Got another Costco mailer with 0% Intro APR for 7 months and 15.49% after that. No AF as long as my Costco membership is valid.

I just got my Double Cash Back card with 4300 limit in July.

What are my chances for any of the above cards? Should I even app? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3 Citi offers - which one to choose from?

@Anonymous wrote:

Got another Costco mailer with 0% Intro APR for 7 months and 15.49% after that. No AF as long as my Costco membership is valid.

Your scores are high enough.  And 4300 is a decent starting limit with citi.  Do you need the card???  Does it come with 20k TYPs?  

The costco is a good card 4-3-2-1 %...

0% on purchases for 21 months is nice....

If it were me I would go for something with a bigger sign on bonus or better rewards?  Wait for the premier to come back with bonus perhaps?  You're already getting 2% everywhere and the preferred is only 2x at dining/entertainment i believe.

Costco sounds good to me for gas, travel, brief 0% period, and easy 2% at costco.... but requires membership.  if you are married I would see if you can find groupons or sales for new members and just alternate b/w the two people each year, thats what I do for sams club and they can change the membership attached to the credit account no need for AU. Not sure if costco can do this though?

how many cards in last 2 years have you been approved for?

You will start getting bt checks for your DC once its a year old. how many months at 0 did it have and what is its non promo apr?  I'd see what the bt fees are on each offer make sure they arent 4 or 5%.  the 15 month would be nice as you could ask for apr reductions for purchases, but that can be hard for some folks to manage, making purchases on a card with a BT, since only the amount above the min payment is applied to purchases in this case.

I would keep checking online for prequalified offers. This seems to make the mail offers come more often and with better apr terms. My offers online were literally 20% last july and bam in the mail comes citi dc 0 for 18 on purchases and bts then 14.24%, scores similar to yours. dont get it, its not that great of a card unless you have interest in hoarding TYPs for future TYP earners like premier/prestige.

Message 2 of 5
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would you even want a TY Preferred when you have a Citi Double Cash? Do you need the purchase/BT offers? There's almost nothing the TY Preferred does better than the Double Cash. I noticed that there are even offers now for the TY Preferred that don't even include the previously customary TY Points sign up bonus. Additionally, it lacks the competitive features of the TY Premier and Prestige cards while falling way short of the Double Cash in versatility and overall usefulness. I couldn't recommend the TY Preferred to anyone who already has a Double Cash, really.

As for the Costco card, you will need to evaluate your own needs and determine if the product will satisfy any of them. Only you can reach a valid conclusion on whether or not you should apply for it.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan and @jfriend33, thank you for the inputs.

Have enough cards (and inquiries) as of now. 7 of the inquiries are falling off in March 17. Currently sitting on a total 65K limit with 11% usage. Don't need another card till my inquiries go off...

Learnt the hard way to curb the app temptations after Chase dinged me thrice for the United Mileageplus. That's one reason why I post in this forum, wait for answers and by the that time, the app addiction wanes away Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan and @Anonymous, thank you for the inputs.

Have enough cards (and inquiries) as of now. 7 of the inquiries are falling off in March 17. Currently sitting on a total 65K limit with 11% usage. Don't need another card till my inquiries go off...

Learnt the hard way to curb the app temptations after Chase dinged me thrice for the United Mileageplus. That's one reason why I post in this forum, wait for answers and by the that time, the app addiction wanes away Smiley Happy

Good approach.   Everyone should learn the mantra "Just because I am sent a preapproval, it doesn't mean I should apply"!   The preapprovals are for cards the issuer wants to move, and do not necessarily fit your needs.   And as said by all above, the TY Preferred is a very weak card.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.