Reply
Valued Contributor
MrShush
Posts: 1,412
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)

Ok, next year I have at least 3 vacations that include 2 destination weddings and my own honeymoon. Currently I have a Green and a Blue. I am considering upgrading the Green to Platinum (maybe) for lounge access and other amenities but also the Delta Gold through Delta for the 20k miles vs. the 10k if appd through AMEX. Annual fee would be waived the first year for the Sky Miles card. I'm trying to figure out my plan of attack and don't know if I should postpone applying our do it now and put tje Sky Miles card to work ASAP. HELP.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)


MrShush wrote:
Ok, next year I have at least 3 vacations that include 2 destination weddings and my own honeymoon. Currently I have a Green and a Blue. I am considering upgrading the Green to Platinum (maybe) for lounge access and other amenities but also the Delta Gold through Delta for the 20k miles vs. the 10k if appd through AMEX. Annual fee would be waived the first year for the Sky Miles card. I'm trying to figure out my plan of attack and don't know if I should postpone applying our do it now and put tje Sky Miles card to work ASAP. HELP.

I saw your success on the other thread --congrats!

 

Two destination weddings and a honeymoon, huh? Your life sounds complicated.  :smileywink:  Congrats on that as well.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Contributor
MrShush
Posts: 1,412
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)

LOL Thanks, but it is a bit more complicated than I'd like it to be :smileywink:

Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)

There are cards with better sign-up bonuses if what you are trying to do is earn some of your travel for free.  Chase Sapphire Preferred is still running 50K bonus I think.  Amex PR Gold is still bumping some people to 75K bonus for sign-up, though that was plastered over the blogs again recently and you may not get that for a new app.  There are some Citi AAdvantage links for 75K miles that are still active.  Not sure if they are all active, but you were able to apply for Visa, Amex, and Business card for 225K miles a while back.  On all of these, you can double your haul if you and spouse/significant other both apply. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
MrShush
Posts: 1,412
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)


Walt_K wrote:

There are cards with better sign-up bonuses if what you are trying to do is earn some of your travel for free.  Chase Sapphire Preferred is still running 50K bonus I think.  Amex PR Gold is still bumping some people to 75K bonus for sign-up, though that was plastered over the blogs again recently and you may not get that for a new app.  There are some Citi AAdvantage links for 75K miles that are still active.  Not sure if they are all active, but you were able to apply for Visa, Amex, and Business card for 225K miles a while back.  On all of these, you can double your haul if you and spouse/significant other both apply. 


I won't go back to Chase (they stiffed me on an offer a couple of years back) for quite some time nor will I apply for another CITI product (still might close my TYR-AMEX) so those ideas, though good, won't work for me.

 

Now, I've not seen anything about a 75K promo for the PR Gold anywhere. If you have a link, I'd appreciate it. Were these targeted offers?

 

Thanks

Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)


MrShush wrote:

Walt_K wrote:

There are cards with better sign-up bonuses if what you are trying to do is earn some of your travel for free.  Chase Sapphire Preferred is still running 50K bonus I think.  Amex PR Gold is still bumping some people to 75K bonus for sign-up, though that was plastered over the blogs again recently and you may not get that for a new app.  There are some Citi AAdvantage links for 75K miles that are still active.  Not sure if they are all active, but you were able to apply for Visa, Amex, and Business card for 225K miles a while back.  On all of these, you can double your haul if you and spouse/significant other both apply. 


I won't go back to Chase (they stiffed me on an offer a couple of years back) for quite some time nor will I apply for another CITI product (still might close my TYR-AMEX) so those ideas, though good, won't work for me.

 

Now, I've not seen anything about a 75K promo for the PR Gold anywhere. If you have a link, I'd appreciate it. Were these targeted offers?

 

Thanks


Yes, it's targeted, but serveral people have posted success applying for the card then asking them to bump the bonus to the 75K offer.  It's happened alot, and there was a recent resurgence of it when it was posted again on the travel blogs, so you may not be able to get it now.  I think the offer code is 6661.  I'm not aware of a link to apply for this offer; I think you have to apply normally and then ask if they can apply that code to your card.  So, if the normal 15K bonus isn't sufficient for you and you would only be applying for the 75K, it may not be worth the risk.  But I think it's a great card, and if you are considering it anyway, it is worth trying. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
MrShush
Posts: 1,412
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)


Walt_K wrote
Yes, it's targeted, but serveral people have posted success applying for the card then asking them to bump the bonus to the 75K offer.  It's happened alot, and there was a recent resurgence of it when it was posted again on the travel blogs, so you may not be able to get it now.  I think the offer code is 6661.  I'm not aware of a link to apply for this offer; I think you have to apply normally and then ask if they can apply that code to your card.  So, if the normal 15K bonus isn't sufficient for you and you would only be applying for the 75K, it may not be worth the risk.  But I think it's a great card, and if you are considering it anyway, it is worth trying. 

I've been looking around and I can't come up with anything. The best I've found yesterday was 10K MR for a new app for PR Gold and zilch offered for the Plat. I'm a fine print reader and none of these offers are open to existing Charge members so am I SOL or are the customers that are getting these bumps making a fuss until they get what they want? (ahem FT people) I certainly don't put astronomical amounts through my cards to warrant an offer of goodwill money...

Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)


MrShush wrote:

Walt_K wrote
Yes, it's targeted, but serveral people have posted success applying for the card then asking them to bump the bonus to the 75K offer.  It's happened alot, and there was a recent resurgence of it when it was posted again on the travel blogs, so you may not be able to get it now.  I think the offer code is 6661.  I'm not aware of a link to apply for this offer; I think you have to apply normally and then ask if they can apply that code to your card.  So, if the normal 15K bonus isn't sufficient for you and you would only be applying for the 75K, it may not be worth the risk.  But I think it's a great card, and if you are considering it anyway, it is worth trying. 

I've been looking around and I can't come up with anything. The best I've found yesterday was 10K MR for a new app for PR Gold and zilch offered for the Plat. I'm a fine print reader and none of these offers are open to existing Charge members so am I SOL or are the customers that are getting these bumps making a fuss until they get what they want? (ahem FT people) I certainly don't put astronomical amounts through my cards to warrant an offer of goodwill money...


If you're reading fine print and looking for something that is going to guarantee you 75K MR points, you're not going to find it.  Or maybe you're referring to the 15K offer?  I know that there is a 15K offer link on thepointsguy.com, but I have not checked to see if it is for first time charge card members.  In any event, here's a recent post where he reports success applying for the card and then asking to be bumped to the 75K offer.  http://thepointsguy.com/2011/08/50000-american-express-points-for-free-with-additional-cardholders/  Note, he's also talking about other offers for extra points for adding authorized users but I think that is dead now.  It was only supposed to be open to Argentinians or something like that.  But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask about that as well.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
MrShush
Posts: 1,412
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

Re: 3 Weddings and which AMEX card(s)

Thanks walt_k. I found a 25k link with offer code, but to be honest, I am terrified to call. I don't want start raising eyebrows or anything.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}