30 cards...30 balances...

tag
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: 30 cards...30 balances...

@Watchmann wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Really?

I suppose it could be done, but it took me FOREVER to get the wifey trained...

One card for groceries, one card for gasoline, etc, etc...

The four that we use the most pay cash rewards...(OK, it's only 2%, but as long as we never pay interest, they're paying ME to use the card, right?)

In your case forget about rewards.......they are way down the list of your concerns or goals.  Your goal is to pay off your debt, a 2% cashback is peanuts compared to the interest you are shelling out, and the use of a card to pay is an invitation to overspend.  Except for a couple of cards they should all be sock drawed and you should be on a cash basis at this point for day to day living.  And be paying off all those cards.  IMO.

+1.  You really have to do the simple math on this.  2% cashback (if you get that) does not balance out a 18-21% interest rate.  When your debt is under control and you can PIF EVERY MONTH ON EVERY CARD then rewards are to your benefit.  Otherwise, they are nothing but a debt trap that you will never get loose of.  A real "reality check" is when you look at the little box on your statement that discloses how long it will take you to pay off your current balance by just paying the minimum payment.  It's a VERY LONG time...almost like a prison sentence!!  Seriously, make yourself a good debt-reduction plan and get yourselves in a better situation.  You'll be soooo happy you did it and it will help your family as well.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 31 of 46
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Well organized, that is half the battle! Good luck with paying them all down.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 46
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

yeah, yeah, I know...

Between my wife and I, we've got 30 active credit card / store card accounts.

As of the first of the year, all 30 of them had balances on them.

Today is the fifth of January, and I paid ONE off.

...it's a start...

tcbofade,

This question may sound stupid, but do you need that many cards? I have a total of 10 and, frankly, I only used two or three every three months for the rewards and sometimes, due to my profession and the fact that I'm currently deploy to Afghanistan, I have a hard time login into my accounts to check balances and so for. You may need to hire an accountant my friend Smiley Happy

!!!! I'm on gardening mode !!!!

EQ FICO 779; TU FICO 783; EX FAKO 821
In my wallet: USAA AMEX, USAA World MasterCard,Service Credit Union Platinum Visa, Chase MasterCard, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More Card, American Express Gold, American Express Platinum, Chase Continental One Pass

Message 33 of 46
tcbofade
Super Contributor

More great feedback, thank you boys and girls.

While some of the details vary greatly, I think most of you have the same idea that I started with...pay them off, one by one.

With both of our full time incomes, we CAN dig out of the hole that we've created.

One down, 29 to go.  Smiley Tongue

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 34 of 46
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Even if the rewards were 10%, OP would still likely be losing money. Store cards can be pretty brutal with interest rates.

...but they can be pretty generous too. 

Five of the "store cards" are 0 percent. 

My Household card is my personal favorite...it has a 9.9% interest rate, but I never pay ANY interest...I pay $200 every Friday, and before a new bill rolls around, I've completely paid off (and reloaded...) the card.  Effective interest rate = 0.  Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 46
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Even if the rewards were 10%, OP would still likely be losing money. Store cards can be pretty brutal with interest rates.

My Household card is my personal favorite...it has a 9.9% interest rate, but I never pay ANY interest...I pay $200 every Friday, and before a new bill rolls around, I've completely paid off (and reloaded...) the card.  Effective interest rate = 0.  Smiley Happy

Technically, any card paid in full is 0%.

Carrying balances on cards with any APR over 0% means it only feels like you're saving money. Also, nearly maxed-out cards hurt FICO scores.

If it's not an issue of overspending or relying too heavily on CCs for daily living, Perhaps changing payment timing will make some better cards or higher limits available over time. I'm far from expert on FICO scoring but 30 cards reporting balances doesn't seem like a scenario that would give their software warm, fuzzy feelings.

Regarding 0%. A buddy of mine always says "It's easier to cook a frog in cold water". Smiley Happy 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 46
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Technically, any card paid in full is 0%.

Carrying balances on cards with any APR over 0% means it only feels like you're saving money. Also, nearly maxed-out cards hurt FICO scores.

If it's not an issue of overspending or relying too heavily on CCs for daily living, Perhaps changing payment timing will make some better cards or higher limits available over time. I'm far from expert on FICO scoring but 30 cards reporting balances doesn't seem like a scenario that would give their software warm, fuzzy feelings.

Regarding 0%. A buddy of mine always says "It's easier to cook a frog in cold water". Smiley Happy 

Not an issue of overspending...anymore.  As I mentioned earlier, Mrs. was out of work for most of last year, and we're just starting to dig out from the pile of plastic.

I've never heard the expression "It's easier to cook a frog in cold water" before...that's funny as heck.  Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 46
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I've been exactly where you are, tcbofade.  My husband and I, actually, with a list that looks a lot like yours:  A list of mine, his, and few of ours.

If you can get together enough money to throw at this, you'll get out of it.  In our case we had to take a big loan from a family member.  But now we're paying close to no interest.  We pay less than $100 a month interest right now and paid over $800 a month a year ago. It was a hopeless situation until we got some help.  We just don't have the income to pay all this down, or we didn't. 

Now we've got it halfway paid down and our scores are way higher and the sweet deals keep coming around.  When you're in a corner (with that many balances reporting you give the appearance of being  in a corner) no one wants to help you.   When you get on the other side, it's really the sunnier side of the street, let me just say that.  I recommend exactly what (user with Banjo in the name, I forgot the name, sorry) said.  Get rid of the smaller ones and the high interest ones and whittle that list down.  A few big balances and lots of wide-open credit lines will look a lot better than owing every shop and bank all over town.  It makes you look a little nutty (and I'm only saying that as a fellow nut, partway reformed.) Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

ChesterPDexter wrote....  Get rid of the smaller ones and the high interest ones and whittle that list down.  A few big balances and lots of wide-open credit lines will look a lot better than owing every shop and bank all over town.  It makes you look a little nutty (and I'm only saying that as a fellow nut, partway reformed.) Smiley Happy

I'll confess that the above is part of my current frustration.

We DID some whittling down last year, and instead of getting declined for our "utilization", the denial reason changed to "bankcard utilization".

(As I paid off the store cards and had LARGE amounts of credit available on those, CC providers started to deny based on credit card vs. store card utilization.)

Which, I'll confess, led to a whole lot of, "I don't care" Christmas shopping.  Guilty.

Oh well. 

One down, 29 to go. 

Message 39 of 46
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

ChesterPDexter wrote....  Get rid of the smaller ones and the high interest ones and whittle that list down.  A few big balances and lots of wide-open credit lines will look a lot better than owing every shop and bank all over town.  It makes you look a little nutty (and I'm only saying that as a fellow nut, partway reformed.) Smiley Happy

I'll confess that the above is part of my current frustration.

We DID some whittling down last year, and instead of getting declined for our "utilization", the denial reason changed to "bankcard utilization".

(As I paid off the store cards and had LARGE amounts of credit available on those, CC providers started to deny based on credit card vs. store card utilization.)

Which, I'll confess, led to a whole lot of, "I don't care" Christmas shopping.  Guilty.

Oh well. 

One down, 29 to go. 

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, util is util and a denial is a denial... Denial "reasons" are kind of like automatic feedback on Ebay... The computer has 10 to choose from what sounds the closest to our reason. You are hurting yourself further by thinking I paid this card in full this month and earned $10 off the rewards program, that was a good move... That may be true for that 1 card but over on this side you had 29 cards that you paid interest on.

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.