cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day late payment on Comenity bank Visa, card canceled by lender, advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

30 day late payment on Comenity bank Visa, card canceled by lender, advice?

Hello,

I had a Comenity bank 'Sport'sman Guide visa' credit card which I got 30 days late on with the card near the maximum limit (7000ish of 8000ish).  I paid the balance due last week prior to them reporting the late payment on my credit report, and today I see that they have canceled my account according to my credit monitoring (though the account still appears to be active in their online system).  

What are my options for minimizing damaging to my credit report?  

I have only had the account for something like 9 months and am not sure if having the account closed will make a 'good will' letter with regards to the 30 days delinquincy impossible.  

This was also one of my accounts with the highest credit limits so having it closed with a large balance remaining would damage my credit utilization.

Do I have any good options for repairing my credit situation quickly?  

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: 30 day late payment on Comenity bank Visa, card canceled by lender, advice?

Unfortunately, if they don't want to remove the late as a goodwill gesture, only time will repair the damage.

Was this a situation where you just missed a payment, but you usually PIF, or do you normally carry a large balance? Not asking to judge you; If you normally PIF but just missed a payment, you have a better chance that they might help you out with removing the late.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 3
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: 30 day late payment on Comenity bank Visa, card canceled by lender, advice?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I had a Comenity bank 'Sport'sman Guide visa' credit card which I got 30 days late on with the card near the maximum limit (7000ish of 8000ish).  I paid the balance due last week prior to them reporting the late payment on my credit report, and today I see that they have canceled my account according to my credit monitoring (though the account still appears to be active in their online system).  

What are my options for minimizing damaging to my credit report?  

I have only had the account for something like 9 months and am not sure if having the account closed will make a 'good will' letter with regards to the 30 days delinquincy impossible.  

This was also one of my accounts with the highest credit limits so having it closed with a large balance remaining would damage my credit utilization.

Do I have any good options for repairing my credit situation quickly?  

Thanks.

I'm a little confused. If you paid the balance due last week, how is it closed with a large balance remaining? Or did you mean you paid the minimum due? I agree with Dalmus that if you usually PIF and just missed your monthly payment by accident, there may be a chance for a GW letter to be accepted by the lender. However, if you are indeed only paying the minimum payment on an almost maxed out card, Comenity may not be acceptable to a GW letter. But, you can always call them, and explain and even a grovel a little.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.