Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$3000 max limit for Cap one subprime?

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

$3000 max limit for Cap one subprime?

Morning everyone. I've been searching the forums as I thought I read somewhere that $3000 is the maximum limit you can get with the old Capital One subprime Platinum Mastercard? Mine started out as a $300 limit card, it is now a $3k Quicksilver via the EO but as it's my oldest card and has a 5.9% apr with no AF, I don't want to close it, but my other Capital One credit steps card is now a $15k Venture but $3k seems to be the ceiling with the original card. I really don't want to have 2 accounts (if only they'd combine limits!) but if they'd match the limit on my original card I'd be willing to close the other account and take the hit with available credit.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: $3000 max limit for Cap one subprime?

I think it used to be a cap at $3500.  I have one which has a limit of $3500, but no AF.  I do think there are now ways to get it converted, but I think it involves a card number change and an upgrade.  I was told at one point that the most my card could ever be was $3500.  However, with recent changes I think it is now possible to be more.

Funny thing is I called them yesterday and got a call center in Tampa.  I asked them about this and they assured me they had closed all their foreign call centers.  I then spoke to their Online IT dept., in Manilla, I guess Manilla is not a foreign call center.  I also for a moment thought that well maybe the Online support is foreign based, then I asked to be transferred back to customer service.  Yeah, it wasn't in Tampa or anywhere in the US, so I wrote that thought out of my mind.  I love how they tell you one thing and then it gets proven wrong within minutes. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

They can convert it to a new card/product with out a number or date change. They just did that for me from Platinum to Quicksilver.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 7
CreditJim
Established Contributor

It's already a Quicksilver, just wondering if the limit is capped?
Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 4 of 7
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

If you did a PC to a QS card, then how is your question relevant? It is no longer their sub-prime platinum card, so even if there was a limit on their sub-prime platinum cards, then it would not apply to you since you no longer have that card right? I am sorry if I am missing something.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

If you did a PC to a QS card, then how is your question relevant? It is no longer their sub-prime platinum card, so even if there was a limit on their sub-prime platinum cards, then it would not apply to you since you no longer have that card right? I am sorry if I am missing something.

It's possible the OP has the Quicksilver One, which is for "average" credit, as opposed to the Quicksilver, which is for "excellent" credit.

Message 6 of 7
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Well I might not have that physical card anymore but it's still the same account, so that's why I'm wondering if there'd still be a cap. I think I'm going to switch all my spending to that card for a couple of months, making multiple payments each month, then see if I can get a decent CLI. A credit card with 1.5% cashback, no AF and 5.9% APR would be pretty sweet and well worth keeping as my oldest account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.