cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$33k in CC debt, high balances, 99% utilization and high 22+% APR's - need a plan of attack

tag
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Re: $33k in CC debt, high balances, 99% utilization and high 22+% APR's - need a plan of attack

Now that sounds like a plan!! ^^^

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 61 of 65
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: $33k in CC debt, high balances, 99% utilization and high 22+% APR's - need a plan of attack

@Creditaddict wrote:

Who cares about keeping the cards open... lets focus on getting them paid off.

(before you go crazy responding to that let me clear up a couple things)

ALL BANKS have hardship programs in place, Each bank is going to have a different policy on when you can qualify for that hardship program... Some you can just call and give them details about how close you are to bankrupt and they will offer a 12 month - 24 months 0%-9% fixed rate and payment program... some of the smarter better banks will just flat out offer you hardship for the life of the balance and lock you into a low low payment with 0% and offer you to pay extra to get it paid off sooner but just consider themselves lucky if you continue to pay it!

I can also tell you many of the banks will "Close your account" in a hardship for charges, but many of them will continue to report the account open to the credit reports so as not damage you further by having the maxed out card with no credit limit situation that a few have mentioned... remember, they are giving you hardship, they are guessing that you will go from hardship to bankrupt so they are better off trying to get some money from you and hope that you refinance or something with someone else and pay them off!

now back to getting into hardship: you can literally call each bank and ask them if they have a hardship program (most of the CSR's will either have a program in their system to run with you or transfer you to a specialty department but even in the specialty department it's still going to be a pre-determined computer system that they are typing answers into... keep it short and to the point of what they ask and not more... have your numbers ready... you can't come up to $0 or a $-negative number or they can't even offer you the hardship program (they are looking at where you are living, how you are getting to work, and basic bills plus a tiny extra for misc.

dont' tell them your car is almost paid off basically, just tell them the car payment!

Some banks will offer the hardship right away just because the card is maxed

Some banks will require you to be behind 1 payment (1 payment being, your due date is the 9th of Dec. and you call them the 10th of Dec. after not paying your minimum and you now qualify. Keep in mind credit cards don't report a 30 day missed payment until basically you are really 60 days behind... so you have a lot of room to get into all hardship programs, even the ones that require you to miss a payment without having anything report to your credit report.

Once you get approved for a hardship program if you are behind a payment or over your limit, just set up the hardship payment plan with them and then go in yourself and make an additional payment to bring the account current again and under limit... then you will be in the hardship plan with new lower interest and lower payment but will be current with the bank and with credit reports!!

I have personal experience with US Bank (they are easy!)

Sync store cards (your amazon store card) are a weird computer system (might work with no lates, may not work until 1 payment missed, may not work until 2 payments missed) but once it works your payment will literally be like $18 on 0-8%) they also continue to report the account open even though it's closed until you finish paying it all off!

+1

This is excellent advice! 

I'll just add this... as someone who had personal experience with this, it can vary greatly from lender to lender.

Creditaddict is right about some lenders not even making this option available at all until you're already late (and the definition of 'late' can be different from card to card).  I remember years ago before my BK7, I reached out to a few lenders for hardship assistance and had mixed results.  I recall that specifically Discover wouldn't even talk to me about a 'hardship' program until I was a few months behind (they never told me how many).  At that time the CSR told me unless I was "a certain" number of days behind there wasn't even an option on her screen for it (that's been years ago, though, so it could have changed).  Unfortunately for me, in the end not enough of my lenders were willing to assist me to make a difference, and BK7 was the only solution.

I'm not saying this to discourage you... you situation is actually much better than my own was.  In your case, even if only a few lenders are able to give you a break, it would make a huge difference, and (IMO) definitely be worth the effort.  You're also going to have an injection of extra income once your car is PIF, so even without intervention there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel for you... just be patient and persistant, and you'll make it!

Message 62 of 65
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Who cares about keeping the cards open... lets focus on getting them paid off.

(before you go crazy responding to that let me clear up a couple things)

ALL BANKS have hardship programs in place, Each bank is going to have a different policy on when you can qualify for that hardship program... Some you can just call and give them details about how close you are to bankrupt and they will offer a 12 month - 24 months 0%-9% fixed rate and payment program... some of the smarter better banks will just flat out offer you hardship for the life of the balance and lock you into a low low payment with 0% and offer you to pay extra to get it paid off sooner but just consider themselves lucky if you continue to pay it!

I can also tell you many of the banks will "Close your account" in a hardship for charges, but many of them will continue to report the account open to the credit reports so as not damage you further by having the maxed out card with no credit limit situation that a few have mentioned... remember, they are giving you hardship, they are guessing that you will go from hardship to bankrupt so they are better off trying to get some money from you and hope that you refinance or something with someone else and pay them off!

now back to getting into hardship: you can literally call each bank and ask them if they have a hardship program (most of the CSR's will either have a program in their system to run with you or transfer you to a specialty department but even in the specialty department it's still going to be a pre-determined computer system that they are typing answers into... keep it short and to the point of what they ask and not more... have your numbers ready... you can't come up to $0 or a $-negative number or they can't even offer you the hardship program (they are looking at where you are living, how you are getting to work, and basic bills plus a tiny extra for misc.

dont' tell them your car is almost paid off basically, just tell them the car payment!

Some banks will offer the hardship right away just because the card is maxed

Some banks will require you to be behind 1 payment (1 payment being, your due date is the 9th of Dec. and you call them the 10th of Dec. after not paying your minimum and you now qualify. Keep in mind credit cards don't report a 30 day missed payment until basically you are really 60 days behind... so you have a lot of room to get into all hardship programs, even the ones that require you to miss a payment without having anything report to your credit report.

Once you get approved for a hardship program if you are behind a payment or over your limit, just set up the hardship payment plan with them and then go in yourself and make an additional payment to bring the account current again and under limit... then you will be in the hardship plan with new lower interest and lower payment but will be current with the bank and with credit reports!!

I have personal experience with US Bank (they are easy!)

Sync store cards (your amazon store card) are a weird computer system (might work with no lates, may not work until 1 payment missed, may not work until 2 payments missed) but once it works your payment will literally be like $18 on 0-8%) they also continue to report the account open even though it's closed until you finish paying it all off!

+1

This is excellent advice! 

I'll just add this... as someone who had personal experience with this, it can vary greatly from lender to lender.

Creditaddict is right about some lenders not even making this option available at all until you're already late (and the definition of 'late' can be different from card to card).  I remember years ago before my BK7, I reached out to a few lenders for hardship assistance and had mixed results.  I recall that specifically Discover wouldn't even talk to me about a 'hardship' program until I was a few months behind (they never told me how many).  At that time the CSR told me unless I was "a certain" number of days behind there wasn't even an option on her screen for it (that's been years ago, though, so it could have changed).  Unfortunately for me, in the end not enough of my lenders were willing to assist me to make a difference, and BK7 was the only solution.

I'm not saying this to discourage you... you situation is actually much better than my own was.  In your case, even if only a few lenders are able to give you a break, it would make a huge difference, and (IMO) definitely be worth the effort.  You're also going to have an injection of extra income once your car is PIF, so even without intervention there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel for you... just be patient and persistant, and you'll make it!

EXACTLY... some lenders will share, some will just say that... just call back after 1 day late, and 31 days late and then at that point you have to decide do I bring myself back current and take the courtesy waiver of the late fee or do I push forward and go 45-60 days late which at 60 days late you are really pushing when they will report you are late but I found especially sync they could tell me the exact day they would "report my account as 30 days late" once I was in the late zone and getting calls from them and then I could just keep calling... literally sometimes a day or two got me hardship.... I have most experience with Sync because I had 5 or 6 accounts I did this with and each one was different!! which was real frustrating but it's also a computer... not who you get on the phone... they literally have a question and type an answer and it says yes, no and what the offer is!

Message 63 of 65
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

While you will not be charging, here is a thread for inspiration.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-GREAT-CC-Payoff-Challenge/td-p/2689987
Signature needs updating
Message 64 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you thought about taking out a personal loan? Some people don't agree, but one monthly payment can't be MUCH easier to keep track of than 9. Overall the interest may be similar. I had a great experience with Avant approval just recently. Similar situation to yours. & around same FICO as you. Best of luck, I know it can be overwhelming.
Message 65 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.