Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3Rivers FCU - unauthorized hard pull

tag
sarahlee7
New Contributor

3Rivers FCU - unauthorized hard pull

Saturday evening, I was playin' around with 3Rivers FCU.  I filled out a CC app....but DID NOT hit the submit button...Lo and behold, I got a TU alert for a HP from them.

I have been in contact with 3Rivers everyday this week....They admit to the mistake and can clearly see that the application is listed as 'INCOMPLETE'.

The 'somebody in management lady' from the CU said she contacted TU and TU said that I would have to file a dispute with TU order to remove the HP.

The CU lady said they would remove the HP that way.  She also told me there is only 1 person responsible for pulling credit reports in the CU and she is completely aware of my situation and will be 'on the lookout' for the dispute filed by me.

Does this sound like proper procedure?

The CU lady said that nobody in the CU is owning up to the obvious mistake on their part, so she is taking it upon herself  to have the HP removed.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: 3Rivers FCU - unauthorized hard pull

@sarahlee7 wrote:

Saturday evening, I was playin' around with 3Rivers FCU.  I filled out a CC app....but DID NOT hit the submit button...Lo and behold, I got a TU alert for a HP from them.

I have been in contact with 3Rivers everyday this week....They admit to the mistake and can clearly see that the application is listed as 'INCOMPLETE'.

The 'somebody in management lady' from the CU said she contacted TU and TU said that I would have to file a dispute with TU order to remove the HP.

The CU lady said they would remove the HP that way.  She also told me there is only 1 person responsible for pulling credit reports in the CU and she is completely aware of my situation and will be 'on the lookout' for the dispute filed by me.

The CU lady said that nobody in the CU is owning up to the obvious mistake on their part, so she is taking it upon herself  to have the HP removed.

If it's a small CU it sounds reasonable.  If it were B of A, well ....

I would send her a letter explaining your understanding of the conversation and ask her to immediately let you know if you have any of the information incorrect.  This type of CYA letter is always done by lawyers.  You might even CC the CEO of their CU or their head of lending or somebody above her.

Message 2 of 9
sarahlee7
New Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@sarahlee7 wrote:

If it's a small CU it sounds reasonable.  If it were B of A, well ....

I would send her a letter explaining your understanding of the conversation and ask her to immediately let you know if you have any of the information incorrect.  This type of CYA letter is always done by lawyers.  You might even CC the CEO of their CU or their head of lending or somebody above her.

Thanks for the info, but doing all that seems it would take time.....i want the HP removed asap.

If I go to the EO, they may say 'too bad so sad', and stop the lady I talked to from moving forward with the removal process that she layed out to me.

It is a small CU...lst name basis...

Message 3 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Well you  could go into the branch  and sit  and wait until  they fix it.  If you dispute through the CB, it will take up to 30 days.  If it is initiated through the CU it could  happen  immediately.  There really aren't very many choices of things to do here.  You can't make them do it.

Message 4 of 9
sarahlee7
New Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Well you  could go into the branch  and sit  and wait until  they fix it.  If you dispute through the CB, it will take up to 30 days.  If it is initiated through the CU it could  happen  immediately.  There really aren't very many choices of things to do here.  You can't make them do it.

I'm not local to them....

They have to remove it since it was an unauthorized credit inquiry.  They admit to it.  My SS# doesn't even come up in the CU's system but they do have the incomplete application.

Message 5 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

He's right though. You did submit enough information for them to pull your credit. Just because you didn't finish filling out all the pages of information they requested doesn't mean the bank/cu didn't have the right to pull a credit report. It isn't all that unusual.

For exmple, if you apply for a DCU checking/savings account, partway through the application they pull your credit not only to decide if you can get the accounts, but also so they can then immediately offer you other items such as a credit card and a car loan, and they know at what rates and credit limits they will offer you these additional products at that point. Sure, you're almost at the end of all the pages that are requesting data, but if I was to decide at that point that I no longer wanted a checking/savings account, I really wouldn't be able to argue that i shouldn't have had my credit report pulled. Thats just the nature of online, real time applications. 

In my opinion.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Everyone calm down and play nice.

Message 7 of 9
sarahlee7
New Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

He's right though. You did submit enough information for them to pull your credit. Just because you didn't finish filling out all the pages of information they requested doesn't mean the bank/cu didn't have the right to pull a credit report. It isn't all that unusual.

For exmple, if you apply for a DCU checking/savings account, partway through the application they pull your credit not only to decide if you can get the accounts, but also so they can then immediately offer you other items such as a credit card and a car loan, and they know at what rates and credit limits they will offer you these additional products at that point. Sure, you're almost at the end of all the pages that are requesting data, but if I was to decide at that point that I no longer wanted a checking/savings account, I really wouldn't be able to argue that i shouldn't have had my credit report pulled. Thats just the nature of online, real time applications. 

In my opinion.

Doesn't matter if i gave enough information for them to HP a report a not....You have to e-sign, or consent, or give authorization for them to use that information in order for them to actually and physically do a HP on your credit report.  True or false?  I'm pretty sure that's the law.

As far as DCU goes and any other creditor for that matter,  can of course SP your credit in order to offer you products or services.  But those SP's obviously don't affect your credit score/file in a negative way as the HP does.  I have DCU checking/savings/credit card BTW.

And to squash your argument:   'Sure, you're almost at the end of all the pages that are requesting data, but if I was to decide at that point that I no longer wanted a checking/savings account, I really wouldn't be able to argue that i shouldn't have had my credit report pulled. Thats just the nature of online, real time applications.'

-That statement doesn't make sense.  Again, just by filling out an application for credit DOES NOT WARRANT a HP.  I did not authorize it.  I did not consent to it.

Why are you guys arguing that point?  Did youu not read my post where I said that the CU itself has admitted that the HP should not have happened.  My application is listed as 'INCOMPLETE'....meaning no authorization was given....I did not sign it....I did not consent to it. 

I'm starting to believe that youu don't know the difference between a SP and a HP by your 'opinion'.

This thread isn't about who's right or wrong... It's about steps needed to remedy the situation.  Pay attention kids.

P.S.  Nice edits Vet.

Message 8 of 9
sarahlee7
New Contributor

The CU in question, sent me a letter plainly stating that they screwed up. 

I'll promptly mail it to TU via certified mail. 

Thanks for all the not so helpful, help by most.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.