Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3X CLI - which AMEX card?

tag
brianjb
Contributor

3X CLI - which AMEX card?

I have three AMEX cards (Costco one, BCE, Hilton Honors). I got them all within a 10 day period.

The Costco has a $2500 limit, and the BCE & Hilton Honors have $10K each.

What should my strategy be on getting the CLI? Should I try to raise the $2500 one to $7500? Or should I try to raise one of the $10K cards to $30K?

After I do the initial 61 day CLI, I plan on trying to raise one of the others in 6 months. Then I plan on trying to raise another one every 6 months. 

Does this strategy sound ok? Which AMEX card should I try to raise first?

My reference, I have spent about $2K on the Costco one so far and have paid it off. I have spent about $600 on the Hilton and have paid it off. I plan on using the BCE and paying it off as well.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: 3X CLI - which AMEX card?

Since you can move CLs around (at least after a while) it makes sense to get the biggest increase by trying for the CLI on your current highest limit.

Message 2 of 13
brianjb
Contributor

Thanks for the input.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Message 3 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You received your cc's within a 10 day spree. It what order were they approved? In other words, was the lower limit received last?
Message 4 of 13
brianjb
Contributor

No, this is the order:

Applied for Costco one on a Sunday morning.  I was immediatedly approved for $2500

That week, I started doing some research and I found this forum and another one that I read.  So last week (maybe Wed) I applied for both the BCE and Hilton back to back. (applying for BCE first)   I was immediately approved for BCE at $10K limit.  On the Hilton, I got the 7-10 day review message.  I thought that I screwed up, and applied for too much too soon.  About 3-4 days later, I got message saying I was approved.  They overnighted my Hilton card, and I got it on Saturday.  I just reeived the BCE in the mail last night, even though it was approved before the Hilton one. 

Message 5 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Conventional wisdom would be to start at the higher CL and work your way to the lowest. I'm more concerned with the amount of exposure Amex is willing to approve without asking for your tax transcripts. Of course, if that doesn't bother you, then go for the BCE.

Are you planning on keeping all 3 cc's ?
Message 6 of 13
brianjb
Contributor

I am trying to build my score, so I plan on hitting the garden.  That's a new term to me.

I plan on keeping all three cc's, since they don't have annual fees.

Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Ok. Are you willing to produce your taxes if they request it?
Message 8 of 13
brianjb
Contributor

I haven't really thought about the pros and cons of producing my taxes if they request it.  I don't see that it will hurt for them to see it, right?  Is there something I'm missing?  Should I avoid letting them see my taxes?  Not trying to be snarky, I just don't know.

Message 9 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's a comfort/ privacy thing that some are not comfortable with providing. They may not ask. Do you mind sharing your income?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.