Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3X CLI???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

3X CLI???

My fiancee was approved with a SL of 12.8K on BCE will 3X CLI still apply to that thing lol
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: 3X CLI???

Theoretically there's no reason why it wouldn't apply. It all depends on his/her financial condition, i.e. whether Amex believes they're capable of handling a 38.4K limit taking into account things like income, monthly housing/mortage payments, etc. Amex doesn't guarantee a 3X CLI for everyone, but it's very common so that's why it's known as a thing

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Household income is only just shy of 90K so I'd be suprised if they'd give that much but no harm in trying I guess. UTI would be amazing lol
Message 3 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Believe you'll get a CLI just depends on whether they counter or give you the whole thing. There's also the possibility of IV so keep that in mind.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people have gotten 4X cli? The lady and my credit scores are just about the same. The public record on mine only let me get a starting limit of 2K so I'll try for 4X CLI then on Feb 1st. We want these to be our everyday cards. I believe I'll be throwing our starter QS in the sock draw we got back in 2014. Think they've reached their max at 10K. They didn't budge on my recent 6 month CLI request. Hence why I'm in with Amex now.
Message 5 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

No, AMEX will not grant a CLI beyond 3X for customers.

Message 6 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

We saw an 8.5x CLI recently, but that one was initiated by AMEX.

I think the OP should request $6,000, although I guess it wouldn't do any harm to request more. $30,000 would seem to be a reasonable request for the fiancée. Anything too far over that would likely land her in income verification territory, although if that happens, she can back out and make a lower request.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's my plan for me. I was gonna ask for 6K on Feb 1st. Approved on Dec 2nd. I can try again for 3X on the 181st day right? I'm gonna do my appsolute best to PIF every month and use this as my main card. As for the fiancee I guess I'll try for the 3X and then back out if they need verification and shoot for 30K. No need for anything higher. We just really want these cards for the rewards, the prime status with lenders, and to be able to have a significantly lower UTI. Thank you for the replies guys!
Message 8 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

DW did 2k-4k-12k-32k in 14 months on her first primary card. Yes, you can keep asking for 3x CLIs as long as it has been at least 181 days since you were last approved for an increase on any account you have with Amex, or at least 91 days since being denied a CLI.  Many people find that Amex asks for income verification somewhere in the low/mid 30s.  My personal feeling is to just provide it if asked, but certainly as others stated you can just hit the back button and put in a lower amount. 

Looking forward to next month since it will be the first time I've truly tested out the "will they ask me for IV" question for long-established cardmembers.

Message 9 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If it helps when I asked for a CLI on my SPG a few weeks ago they asked for IV which I provided as roughly 10 year member. Bet that had more to do with the amount since I didn't skimp at all on the request.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.