cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3x CLI going to influence future AMEX App?

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

3x CLI going to influence future AMEX App?

Ok so tomorrow I hit 61 days since my account was opened, and planning on going for a 3x CLI (which will help immensely with my exposure, but also improve my limits for future approvals), but I wanted to ask what people think might happen when I go for the AMEX Everyday late next month (much better fit than BCE for me).

For background - I've only had the PRG and BCE 2 months, and wanted to let 3 go by before applying for the EDP, backdating has strengthened my history plenty and everything else is in order. AAoA 2.4 yrs, Oldest 3.3 yrs (backdated AMEXs). No other new accounts since I got the freedom back in July 2013.

So assuming AMEX give me the 3xCLI or some offer in response, does this negatively impact my chances of the Everyday (given that too would eat into my overall exposure with AMEX). I've ran a few sporadic checks of spending ability on my PRG, last one was at 8k with no problems - which to me suggests that I probably have a good chance of the CLI, and perhaps a new small line (I am happy for the Everyday to be 2k). Thoughts?

Another question: when I app for the everyday - do I do it first, or the Barclay Arrival? Also - Should I bother waiting until next month, or is the additional month not really going to make a difference? (it will lengthen my payment history to 9 months with Freedom, 3 months each AMEX).

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cakebuilder
New Contributor

Re: 3x CLI going to influence future AMEX App?

i had the same question yesterday and someone gave me great advice in RE to 3x CLI first or Everyday app first...basically it came down to what i valued more, but the consequence is that my second action would in theory derive from my history while at a lesser value. 

similarly, i think you should app for Amex first before Barclays. Amex will give your more history while Barclays will be brand new

.......$23k....................$8k......................$2k

Current FICO EQ: 775, EX: 764 | Current FAKO CK: 788

Message 2 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

Ok so tomorrow I hit 61 days since my account was opened, and planning on going for a 3x CLI (which will help immensely with my exposure, but also improve my limits for future approvals), but I wanted to ask what people think might happen when I go for the AMEX Everyday late next month (much better fit than BCE for me).

For background - I've only had the PRG and BCE 2 months, and wanted to let 3 go by before applying for the EDP, backdating has strengthened my history plenty and everything else is in order. AAoA 2.4 yrs, Oldest 3.3 yrs (backdated AMEXs). No other new accounts since I got the freedom back in July 2013.

So assuming AMEX give me the 3xCLI or some offer in response, does this negatively impact my chances of the Everyday (given that too would eat into my overall exposure with AMEX). I've ran a few sporadic checks of spending ability on my PRG, last one was at 8k with no problems - which to me suggests that I probably have a good chance of the CLI, and perhaps a new small line (I am happy for the Everyday to be 2k). Thoughts?

Another question: when I app for the everyday - do I do it first, or the Barclay Arrival? Also - Should I bother waiting until next month, or is the additional month not really going to make a difference? (it will lengthen my payment history to 9 months with Freedom, 3 months each AMEX).

it will affect your odds of getting the Everyday and also your CL if you are approved. Simply because Amex has recently issued you a lot of credit and they may not want to issue you anymore credit until either your credit history, account history, or income builds up.

If you value the Everyday card more, then I suggest you just apply for it now (so it will backdate as March instead of April), and then request for the 3x on the Everyday card. No point getting a high CL on the BCE card that you won't have much use for, especially if its gonna affect your other apps. Also, chances are somewhat slim, but by seeking so much credit over such a short span of time, you are putting yourself at higher risk for income verification. So if you are not comfotable with that, then wait. If you are okay with submitting tax docs, then go ahead and don't worry too much.

I would request for the CLI first, then apply for Barclays. Simply because Barclays report that new account really quickly.

I think you can just apply for the Everyday card now or next month, as long as you are prepared to submit tax docs if they ask for it. It won't be a full blown FR; just a minor income verification for the most part if anything. Might as well go for it now so it will report as march opening date rather than April.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 5
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts Enharu. Im not worried regarding income verification or full blown FR - They can play with my US tax documents all they like and it wont bother me.

So to clarify what you suggest: Go for the everday now, then wait until 61st day assuming approval and CLI, then go for Barclays? Or do I go for the Barclays after the everyday?

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 4 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Enharu. Im not worried regarding income verification or full blown FR - They can play with my US tax documents all they like and it wont bother me.

So to clarify what you suggest: Go for the everday now, then wait until 61st day assuming approval and CLI, then go for Barclays? Or do I go for the Barclays after the everyday?

If you don't mind submitting tax docs then just apply. Some people are not comfortable with submitting tax docx due to privacy concerns which I figured may possibly be the case for you as well. 

I recommend you get the everyday now, then apply for the barclays right away, and then request for the 61day CLI on the everyday. Or you can also get the everyday, wait for 61day CLI, then get the barclays. Either way works. If everything is okay with your credit profile now, then might as well apply ASAP and have the accounts start aging earlier so you can be on your way for your next spree earlier too!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.