Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 apps/12 inquiries later... never again, CapOne

tag
Trivolve
Contributor

4 apps/12 inquiries later... never again, CapOne

I like the Quicksilver a lot, with the 1.5% cashback, no FTF and no redemption minimum. Unfortunately, CapOne seems to have something against me. I apped for QS 3 times and Journey 1 time over a year and all were denied with a waste of 12 inquiries (triple-pull CB is crazy!), while in the meantime I've gotten 9 more prime credit cards from other prime banks with a few 5-digit limits. Always cited was too many inquiries (duh, most of it is from you, CapOne!) and age of accounts (and yet Barclaycard seems OK with me). 

CapOne must think I'm too good for them, and so they'll never get an application from me again. In my heart they're now down there with creditone and firstpremier. Never again, CapOne - you've lost this customer forever.

[Total CL: $97K] Citi Forward, BoA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX Hilton Hhonors, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thankyou Preferred, Barclaycard Arrival Plus, AMEX Platinum, Chase IHG
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: 4 apps/12 inquiries later... never again, CapOne

Capital One is known to be pull-happy... but for a certain point in the credit life cycle they are good -- far better than the abjectly predatory lenders with their half-your-credit-line-in-fees-each-year ways. And lenders won't sneer at Capital One on your CR, whereas First Premier or the like may cause discomfort. 

Best of luck on the better cards--we all outgrow the little ones eventually. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 2 of 13
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Totally agree with Anchovies. There are better reward cards. Capital One is a stepping stone that most people step beyond and your just past it.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 3 of 13
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

I have to agree also, to me no card with worth 3 HP's

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Josh2942 wrote:
Totally agree with Anchovies. There are better reward cards. Capital One is a stepping stone that most people step beyond and your just past it.

I disagree!  Cap One Quick Silver is best-in-class because of the ease of redemption.

Message 5 of 13
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Capital one qs without the af is the only capital one card I want. I'm kinda surprised that they don't get in the Cashback game for gas, grocery or restaurants 1.5% is not very competitive in those categories 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Capital one qs without the af is the only capital one card I want. I'm kinda surprised that they don't get in the Cashback game for gas, grocery or restaurants 1.5% is not very competitive in those categories 

Right, but there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of the rewards structure, and for people who only want one or two cards, it's pretty good.

For me, this card is the one I use when no other card has a reward category, and Amex isn't accepted (otherwise I use Fidelity Amex).  I am still surprised at just how much falls into this!

Message 7 of 13
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Right, but there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of the rewards structure, and for people who only want one or two cards, it's pretty good.

For me, this card is the one I use when no other card has a reward category, and Amex isn't accepted (otherwise I use Fidelity Amex).  I am still surprised at just how much falls into this!

This is true... not everyone has the patience or the time to keep up with rotating categories and registrations and so forth. And not everyone wants a big wallet. 

I used to use my Paypal Business Debit Card for the 1.5% back, so Quicksilver now matches that and reports to my CR. And unlike Paypal for the last couple of years, I can redeem QS once charges post. They're both pretty low effective limits but life goes on. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 8 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Trivolve wrote:

I like the Quicksilver a lot, with the 1.5% cashback, no FTF and no redemption minimum. Unfortunately, CapOne seems to have something against me. I apped for QS 3 times and Journey 1 time over a year and all were denied with a waste of 12 inquiries (triple-pull CB is crazy!), while in the meantime I've gotten 9 more prime credit cards from other prime banks with a few 5-digit limits. Always cited was too many inquiries (duh, most of it is from you, CapOne!) and age of accounts (and yet Barclaycard seems OK with me). 

CapOne must think I'm too good for them, and so they'll never get an application from me again. In my heart they're now down there with creditone and firstpremier. Never again, CapOne - you've lost this customer forever.

Yeah I've been there with Cap1 myself too.  They also pull ARS and IDA.  Did you apply all those times to prove to yourself you could get the card?  Thats what I did with Discover and probably wouldnt miss my "it" card now that I have it. 

Message 9 of 13
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I have used my cap one qs once in the past month for my hair cut. I spend most of my stuff on gas, supermarkets which I have several cards that are better, or I use my target red debit card. I would love the fid amex but I just hate how places dont take amex like some places dont take discover its very annoying. What if cap one came out with a 5% gas and supermarket all the time card with no limits? Imagine how much use it would get? It would literally take place of so many cards that people love on here. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.