Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$400 Cash Back after Spending $1K in 90 Days with NFL Card

tag
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: $400 Cash Back after Spending $1K in 90 Days with NFL Card

@migliogiorni wrote:

Agree with previous poser.  here it is spend 1k get 400 back with Barclay or spend 3k get 400 back with chase? Barclay is better deal.

Actually to the CSP's credit, I believe the "new" offer is only 2K spend in 3 months.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 41 of 84
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Also, for the people who already have another Barclay's card, they can take the cash, then move the CL over at a later date.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 42 of 84
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Hmmm...Dun c that sign up offer on Chase's website??

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 43 of 84
Jlu
Established Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

Hmmm...Dun c that sign up offer on Chase's website??

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 44 of 84
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Thankx saw that link b4.  It doesn't say 40,000 points in 2 months spend though, says in 3 months spend.  So 2 month spend offer is no longer available?

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 45 of 84
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

@SwampSystems wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

lol, so many haters.

All I was sayin is I would much rather have a useful card like CSP if I was gonna go through the trouble of getting an approval for a visa siggy. Then I wouldn't have to worry about Barclay's infamous AA wrath.

CSP has the same sign-up bonus - 40,000 points ($400) AND then you are left with a card that earns 2% on travel & dining + 7% dividend with 1:1 travel partner transfer.

I don't know bout you guys but I buy more hamburgers than footballs.

And with the Sapphire Preferred, you have to spend 3x as much to get the $400 bonus, and you have to spend $8878.50 on travel and dining in a year just for the extra 1.07% to cancel out the annual fee.

Granted, I plan to sign up for both of the cards and take the $800, then PC the Sapphire Preferred after a year.

What? Figuring 2% plus the 7% dividend you would have to spend ~$4,500 or ~$12/day on dining/travel to break even - and that's if you don't charge anything else. Not to mention the AF is waived for the first year. Then add the fact that partner transfers generally net 1.3-1.6 cents per point. And the sign-up bonus requires a $3k/90day spend, I spend that in a month. Are you really trying to say that the Barclay NFL card is better than the CSP? Maybe this card works for you and that's great; I just wanted members to know there are other options and not to get lured in just with a sign-up bonus.

No, I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. All I was trying to say is that the NFL card does give you 1% on all purchases, so the CSP really only gives you an additional 1% on dining and travel and an additional 0.7% on everything. That's what I did my calculation on -- the additional 1.07% cashback negating the annual fee. LIke I said, I plan to sign up for both of them anyway.

Message 46 of 84
FrugalRican
Blogger

Jlu, I totally understand where you are coming from.

I was thinking the same thing as you were. I can see though why the card is of "benefit".

If you are going to spend 1K anyway, and you're getting 400 back for a statement credit... because come on... definitely not getting that in "gear"... then it's quite the temporary benefit. I don't know if this is an annual fee card, I'm assuming it's not. But in the end it's an additional positive tradeline that I could maybe use once every three months on coffee.

It's tempting for me. I could do a LOT with that 400 dollars, but I'll just think about it. Rather not act on impulse.

But I will be closing my only Mastercard in January, so having this... (even though it's an NFL card... ugh) is something to think about.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 47 of 84
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@shiftomnimega wrote:

Tempting, but I don't think I'll be spending 1k in non-5% categories in the next 3 months.  Especially with Chase doing 5% at BBY.  If only this deal waited a quarter.

With Chase you will get $75 cashback at maximum if you spend 1500; $50 if you just spend the $1000. This deal is a lot better than that.

Also if you were not going to spend $1000. you could easily buy a bank account with it and spend the money that way.

Message 48 of 84
FrugalRican
Blogger

Was just reading the fine print, and need help translating this:

3. Redemption Options: Cardmembers may redeem Points for a variety of rewards including NFL gift cards, certain NFL merchandise, NFL collectibles, NFL based experiences, and cash back via a statement credit towards any purchase transactions of $25 or more that posted to your account within the last 90 days. Statement credit redemption amount cannot exceed the amount of the qualifying purchase transaction.

So essentially, I spend my 1000, get the 400 back and then I could go on an ordering spree on Amazon for $400 and then I could apply the 400?

This legalese reads like I'd have to apply the statement credit, chunks at a time to cover several purchases. I guess it's no different than an AMEX statement credit in that it happens in intervals of 25, correct?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 49 of 84
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Was just reading the fine print, and need help translating this:

3. Redemption Options: Cardmembers may redeem Points for a variety of rewards including NFL gift cards, certain NFL merchandise, NFL collectibles, NFL based experiences, and cash back via a statement credit towards any purchase transactions of $25 or more that posted to your account within the last 90 days. Statement credit redemption amount cannot exceed the amount of the qualifying purchase transaction.

So essentially, I spend my 1000, get the 400 back and then I could go on an ordering spree on Amazon for $400 and then I could apply the 400?

This legalese reads like I'd have to apply the statement credit, chunks at a time to cover several purchases. I guess it's no different than an AMEX statement credit in that it happens in intervals of 25, correct?

Yes you can. Keep in mind with this card and the Barclays Rewards Mastercard, that the points must be equal to the purchase price, otherwise you can only do $25 or $50 incremements. Say you have 3000 points and you purchase something for exactly 3000, you can apply the full amount to that purchase, or partial if you like. If you buy something for 5000, you cannot apply 3000 to it, you can only do $25 to it since the points are not equal to the purchase price.

Message 50 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.