cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5/24 rule. When does a new credit card show on your report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5/24 rule. When does a new credit card show on your report?

Hey guys didn't know I was 5/24 and one of my cards will be removed from that list sometime in mid September. I just recently (last week to be exact) applied for 2 new credit cards and was approved. Does anyone know when they will report on my history? If they report before September 20 for example can I just cancel them before I receive them and they will have no affect on my new cards? Or can I keep them and they would report after septemember 20? Sorry I'm new don't know how it will work.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: 5/24 rule. When does a new credit card show on your report?

Canceling the card before it reports will not prevent it from eventually reporting. If you want to apply for something from chase ( which I assume your proposing) and not be affected by 5/24, you would have to apply for a chase card before the new ones report. Otherwise your stuck waiting for your cards to age.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey guys didn't know I was 5/24 and one of my cards will be removed from that list sometime in mid September. I just recently (last week to be exact) applied for 2 new credit cards and was approved. Does anyone know when they will report on my history? If they report before September 20 for example can I just cancel them before I receive them and they will have no affect on my new cards? Or can I keep them and they would report after septemember 20? Sorry I'm new don't know how it will work.

Thanks.

There is no way for us to know when your cards will report.  It varies from creditor to creditor.  For example, Barclays will report your card to the CRAs before you even get the card.  Ameerican Express often takes 2-3 months after approval before thye start reporting.  Tell us what cards that you are talking about and we might be able to give you an idea.

Whether you cancel the cards or not they will report and stay on your report for up to 10 years.  Closed cards still count towards 5/24

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

**bleep** one of them is Barclays other is citi. Are u sure Barclay reports right away or after 30 days?
Message 4 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Barclays tends to report very quickly
Message 5 of 6
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Barclays is very quick, they could report by the time you have finished reading the approval screen, maybe a little exaggerated but not by much.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.