Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% Points or Cash back on airlines all the time

tag
nishant1
New Contributor

5% Points or Cash back on airlines all the time

Chase offers one quarter on airlines. US Cash + has one category.

I have dedicated one 5% category on current US Cash + card all the time for airline.Now that US Cash + attractive categories like bill pay, Home improvement and Airlines are going away, is there any other cards which gives 5% back on airline all the time?

I have many cards which give 2% on travel or airline like Chase Sapphire Preferred but nothing to replace US Cash + category.

In absence of new card, I plan is to use all my 3 Chase cards- Freedom, Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire No annual fee Mastercard points including leveraged Freedom 5% points. Then transfer all points to Sapphire Preferred and book flight using Ultimate rewards which will give me 6.25% from 5% Freedom transferred and 2.675% from Sapphire Preferred and 1.33% from Sapphire MasterCard.

Above calculation includes 7% annual bonus on Both Sapphire cards and 25% bonus from ultimate rewards site bookings.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 5% Pogints or Cash back on airlines all the time

Discover gives 5% back on travel booked through shopdiscover. Hotels.com and expedia are both shop discover partners. Amex gives 4x MR on flights with PRG booked though amex travel online.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 19
nishant1
New Contributor

Discover does not offer 5% cashback on airline tickets.

Message 3 of 19
nishant1
New Contributor

Expedia Terms and conditions mention

• Offer not valid on standalone flight purchases
Message 4 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If I use shopdiscover to book travel I add the hotel in. Flight only I use amex travel. Discover vacation desk is also 5% cash back on things like cruises and vacation packages with a live travel agent to help you with booking and getting discounts like AARP or military discount applied.
FICO 9:

Message 5 of 19
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Discover gives 5% back on travel booked through shopdiscover. Hotels.com and expedia are both shop discover partners. Amex gives 4x MR on flights with PRG booked though amex travel online.

What is the actual site? url?

When I log into my account and click on travel, it only shows booking  options for Plat holders.

When I go here https://travel.americanexpress.com/home it ask that I log in, and then I'm not able to navigate BACK to the original url.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

https://travel.americanexpress.com/home?inav=menu_travel_book

There are seperate travel options depending on what amex cards you hold. I can either use the personal "book a trip" button or use the business travel button where there are savings due to pre arranged fare reductions. For reimbursed travel I would go through the PR personal travel portal. My small business does not require travel so I have never used the business travel portal.
FICO 9:

Message 7 of 19
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: 5% Points or Cash back on airlines all the time

@nishant1 wrote:

Chase offers one quarter on airlines. US Cash + has one category.

I have dedicated one 5% category on current US Cash + card all the time for airline.Now that US Cash + attractive categories like bill pay, Home improvement and Airlines are going away, is there any other cards which gives 5% back on airline all the time?

I have many cards which give 2% on travel or airline like Chase Sapphire Preferred but nothing to replace US Cash + category.

In absence of new card, I plan is to use all my 3 Chase cards- Freedom, Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire No annual fee Mastercard points including leveraged Freedom 5% points. Then transfer all points to Sapphire Preferred and book flight using Ultimate rewards which will give me 6.25% from 5% Freedom transferred and 2.675% from Sapphire Preferred and 1.33% from Sapphire MasterCard.

Above calculation includes 7% annual bonus on Both Sapphire cards and 25% bonus from ultimate rewards site bookings.

Penfed Travel Rewards Amex provides 5x points per dollar for Airline purchases.

Message 8 of 19
nickn86
Contributor

PRG is 3x MR for travel and 4x if you book through Amex Travel.  Amex Travel is always a little bit more expensive than booking directly through the airline or with Orbitz, Expedia, etc... though unfortunately (tickets are like 8 bucks more for domestic travel, not sure about international).

The Travelocity Amex and Priceline Visa both give 5% if you book through their respective sites I believe.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 9 of 19
nishant1
New Contributor

Priceline visa rewards mentions 5% on "Name your price" hotels but nowhere it mentions that it gives 5% on airline.

Can anybody confirm that priceline gives 5% points when booked air ticket from priceline.com and charged to priceline visa.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.