Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% cards?

what cards offer 5% in rewards? do any have no af?

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: 5% cards?

Discover, GM BuyPower and Freedom - all with limitations, but those come to mind not counting some Gas cards. All are "national bank cards" and have no AF. Ebates .would probably fall in there too if you play their game right. 

Message 2 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There is no card that offers 5% across the board. (Unless you count the recently discussed BuyPower card from Capital One, which does offer 5% on all spend up to a cap, but you must redeem towards a GM vehicle)

Every card that offers 5% does so on a certain category (or two or three) and it can be variable. Discover It and Chase Freedom are examples of rotating 5% cards with no annual fees. Barclay's Sallie Mae offers 5% on gas and groceries up to $250 each per month, and 5% on bookstores (this unofficially works on Amazon as well) up to $750 a month,  no AF. Us Bank Cash+ is now available to apply for online, and offers 5% on two categories you choose, 2% on another category and 1% on all other spending. It's a neat concept if you like the categories they offer (cell phone, furniture, electronics, fast food are some of the more popular choices). Amex's BCP is 6% on groceries up to a cap (6k a year I believe), and it does have a $75 AF.

These are the examples i can think of for now but I'm sure there are more.

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

IIRC, Wells Fargo and TD Bank has 5% but it is promotional to 6 and 3 months respectively.

Message 4 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IIRC, Wells Fargo and TD Bank has 5% but it is promotional to 6 and 3 months respectively.

You're right. I used to have the TD Easy Rewards card. It does offer 5% for 6 months. Not on quite everything but most things (I think it's dining, gas, groceries, utilities, something like that). After that, it reverts to a 1% card, so less useful

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

So i guess the most i can get on all spending with no af is something like the barclays rewards 2% with no af.

Message 6 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So i guess the most i can get on all spending with no af is something like the barclays rewards 2% with no af.

That or the Citi Double Cash...isn't the Barclay Rewards only 2% on certain things? Double Cash also has no AF. Or you can do a Capital One Quicksilver for 1.5% back on everything

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your correct on the barclays card, i just saw it on the website. Looks like quicksilver is it for now.

Message 8 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your correct on the barclays card, i just saw it on the website. Looks like quicksilver is it for now.

I love my Quicksilver. Easy rewards that add up fast, no redemption hassles or restrictions. Really nothing bad to say. No FTF if that concerns you

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

or Fidelity AMEX.  That brings in 2% as well if you have a cash mgmt account with them

(fancy name for a checking account..  which is one of their awesome products)

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.