cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% cash back when paid at pump- Any restrictions on which gas pumps?

tag
nishant1
New Contributor

5% cash back when paid at pump- Any restrictions on which gas pumps?

PedFed gives 5% cash back for 12 months a year when paid at the pump.

Chase Freedom gives 5% cash back 6 months in a year. two quarters a year.

Discover gives 5% cash back  3 months in a year.

When paid at the pump by swiping the credit card at Automated Fuel Dispenser- Does it matter whether the pump is Shell/BP or Citgo/Hucks/Thorntons/Casey's etc or even Costco or Sams club gas pumps?

Merchant Category Code is expected to be identical for all  Automated Fuel Dispenser but do not know for sure.

Please share your experience whether you ran into issues of not getting expected 5% cash back when paid by swiping at pump at any specific pumps.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: 5% cash back when paid at pump- Any restrictions on which gas pumps?

With PenFed it always has worked (got the 5% points), they don't list exclusions.

Message 2 of 9
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Sams club gas pumps show as wholesale clubs and not gas for both Mastercard and VISA

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 9
nishant1
New Contributor

PenFed pays 5% rewards only if the Merchant Category Code- MCC is 5542- Automated Fuel Dispenser.

Does this mean that Sams Club when paid at pump has a different MCC?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

With Amex it has to be at stand alone gas stations

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@nishant1 wrote:

PenFed pays 5% rewards only if the Merchant Category Code- MCC is 5542- Automated Fuel Dispenser.

Does this mean that Sams Club when paid at pump has a different MCC?

Thanks

I haven't tried, but from another site: http://whitecoatinvestor.com/the-best-credit-card-for-gas-out-there/

Downsides of Using Pen Fed For Gas

You have to buy the gas at a gas station and you have to pay at the pump.  You can’t use a VISA at Costco, and you may not get 5% back on supermarket gas.  It has to be “Visa Merchant Category Codes 5542″.  If you go inside and pay, that’s 5541, and doesn’t count.  I understand many supermarket gas stations including Safeway, Smith’s, King Sooper, and Sam’s Club do use code 5542, but you might want to check your first statement just to check.  You can look up your favorite grocery store fuel station here and make sure it is 5542.

Message 6 of 9
nishant1
New Contributor

I am registered for this quarter for 5% cash back for Chase Freedom.

I tested today Chase Freedom by filling small quantity of gas at nearby Sams Club gas pump by paying at the pump.

It is showing as pending transaction on my Chase website.

After seeing pending transaction, I called Chase Freedom to know whether it is eligible for 5% or not.

The representative confirmed that the transaction is coded as Automatic Dispenser and will get 5% cash back.

I am happy and so will be the users of Chase Freedom.

Message 7 of 9
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

With freedom you do not have to pay at the pump(you can if you want to) you can go inside it has no difference, but it has to be standalone gas station, not a part of a walmart or any other big warehouse store or costco...However Some places where you pay at the pump type Sams club can give 5% back when paid at the pump, so for a fact it does matter where you swipe at walmart/Sam's , different POS have different MCC

Penfed same thing you just have to pay at the pump to get 5%, I do not own Discover yet so someone else can tell you that one...

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I have used my PenFed visa both at the pump and inside. 5% has always come back to me.

This is at Kwik Trip...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.