Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% home improvement year round

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

5% home improvement year round

Any cards? I'd hate to have to apply for Freedom and Discover just to get six months covered.

Edit: cash back ideally, not discount

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Re: 5% home improvement year round

Not sure about the percentages, but check out what Lowe's and Home Depot currently have to offer. 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 2 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Home Depot will match Lowes 5% = both Home Depot Store Card and Lowes Store Card and you can get pre-approval at Home Depot.com now.

Message 3 of 20
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

as long as you are willing to order online upromise always gives 5% in addition to what the card your using gives

Message 4 of 20
Bman70
Established Contributor

Yeah the store's cards themselves are 5% off discount, I'm looking more for cash back. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 5 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

Any cards? I'd hate to have to apply for Freedom and Discover just to get six months covered.

Where are you shopping for your home improvements?

if cash is an option, most contractors are willing to provide you with a decent discount, or at least the credit transaction fees. A good contractor will also do a better job than say, Home depot.

You can also ask your contractor for Net30 / Net60 payment arrangements.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

Yeah the store's cards themselves are 5% off discount, I'm looking more for cash back. 

unless someone else is paying the bill so you can get the rewards after the fact of the bill being paid off receipt (5% when you charge IS cash back!)

Message 7 of 20
Bman70
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Where are you shopping for your home improvements?

if cash is an option, most contractors are willing to provide you with a decent discount, or at least the credit transaction fees. A good contractor will also do a better job than say, Home depot.

You can also ask your contractor for Net30 / Net60 payment arrangements.

Lowes first choice, Home Depot works too. It's for projects I'm doing myself, so no contractors involved. Smiley Happy

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 8 of 20
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

unless someone else is paying the bill so you can get the rewards after the fact of the bill being paid off receipt (5% when you charge IS cash back!)

Agreed.  The 5% discount from Home Depot is money that never even leaves my pocket.  It's cash back of the highest order.  If it would make you feel better I'm sure you could hand it to the cashier and get them to hand it back to you.

Message 9 of 20
Bman70
Established Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Agreed.  The 5% discount from Home Depot is money that never even leaves my pocket.  It's cash back of the highest order.  If it would make you feel better I'm sure you could hand it to the cashier and get them to hand it back to you.

Lol. I still think I'll go for Freedom or Discover for the CB. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.