cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$5 statement credit from AMEX for every $25 BP gas purchase if you sync you account with twitter

tag
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: $5 statement credit from AMEX for every $25 BP gas purchase if you sync you account with twitter

Thanks..found the link and will try syncing...I'd never even heard of that before!

I also chatted with Amex and they gave me a number to call because I never have any offers!

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 21 of 43
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Re: $5 statement credit from AMEX for every $25 BP gas purchase if you sync you account with twitter

I signed up on that deal for both my Amex's yesterday. Mine said each time and mine did not say anything about having to link Twitter. I just went and reread it again to be sure and it says nothing about Twitter. Do different cardholders get different deals?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 22 of 43
john398
Senior Contributor

@Beane wrote:

@mountainmom wrote:

I would love to take advantage of this promo! But when I login to Amex, and click on my offers, I have no offers Smiley Sad Is there a way to get this to show up?

It is explained in the slickdeals post I linked.  To get the deal you sync your twitter account with your amex account and tweet #AmexBP for the BP deal  or #AmexExxonMobil for the ExxonMobil one.  Once that happens they will be on your account, but only if they are synced.

Thanks for the heads up I just synch, is the ExxonMobil deal one time only?

Message 23 of 43
Beane
Regular Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

I signed up on that deal for both my Amex's yesterday. Mine said each time and mine did not say anything about having to link Twitter. I just went and reread it again to be sure and it says nothing about Twitter. Do different cardholders get different deals?

Some had it already in their offers so they didn't need twitter.  If you didn't have it already you could get the offer added to your card through twitter.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 24 of 43
Beane
Regular Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

@mountainmom wrote:

I would love to take advantage of this promo! But when I login to Amex, and click on my offers, I have no offers Smiley Sad Is there a way to get this to show up?

It is explained in the slickdeals post I linked.  To get the deal you sync your twitter account with your amex account and tweet #AmexBP for the BP deal  or #AmexExxonMobil for the ExxonMobil one.  Once that happens they will be on your account, but only if they are synced.

The ExxonMobil one says one time only.   Someone confirmed the BP one can be used multiple times.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 25 of 43
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Beane wrote:

@john398 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

@mountainmom wrote:

The ExxonMobil one says one time only.   Someone confirmed the BP one can be used multiple times.

Yes, it does appear that the BP one can be used multiple times. Here's the exact verbiage on my offer:

"Get a $5 statement credit each time you use your enrolled Card to make a single qualifying purchase of $25 or more at the pump at any BP station by 12/31/2013." (emphasis added)

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 26 of 43
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I just noticed that I received yet another gas station offer. This one is a one time offer for $5 back with just a $5 purchase at Murphy USA or Murphy Express. Amex seems to be giving away a bunch of gas lately -- nice offers. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 27 of 43
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Well I did Amex chat and they said to call. So I called and she said I had no offers because I've only had my card for 2 months and they tailor it to your spending habits. So she said to give it more time.

So, I did the Twitter sync and now the BP deal is appearing. But DH is an AU and I don't know how to add his card to the deal other than creating another twitter account for him. I don't use Twitter except for things like this. Tweeting not really my thing.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 28 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

So, having confirmed the offer, I gleefully set off for a local BP station that I had never used.   To my surprise, it was full service, with ancient pumps that don't take credit cards.  Still, no matter.  Turned out that the charge for filling was exactly $25, yay!

When I got home, I checked on the Amex site:  Charge is from "A GETTY ON RT 9 INC", mmm, wonder if that is recognized as BP?  Then, Category: Transportation - Auto Services, so now I think I will get 1% and not even 3%.   Should have gone to my normal station and used my 5% card!

So the charge posted today, and just to check I contacted Amex (using chat since Amex decided to drop secure messaging).  Rep confirmed it appeared as a charge at a retail store, so not gas at BP, too bad, no bonus.

She helpfully suggested that in future I ask, before a purchase, how the establishment is registered with American Express.

I said I thought that might be a tiny bit unrealistic, and that most clerks/gas station attendents wouldn't know and probably wouldn't even understand what was being asked.  I compared it to me (as a phone company employee) asking her what tarrif is Amex on for the dedicated lines to the local call center.

So, no $5, but I had fun being slightly rude to a low-paid worker who was just trying to do her job.  Makes life worthwhile!

Message 29 of 43
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Beane wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

Some had it already in their offers so they didn't need twitter.  If you didn't have it already you could get the offer added to your card through twitter.

I had both the Exxon/Mobile and BP offers already without having to link to Twitter, which I wouldn't do anyhow. Unfortunately no Exxons or BPs anywhere nearby, though. Smiley Sad

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.