Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 years post BK

tag
Creditbuilder36
Frequent Contributor

5 years post BK

Can anyone tell me what cards will give you a shot 5 years post BK I mean cards that will really grow
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 5 years post BK

Discover for sure and will grow and a lot of times grow fast. Barclays but they really aren't known to grow. Capital one and will definitely grow
Message 2 of 27
Creditbuilder36
Frequent Contributor

Ok I do have Capitol one i will try discover as well are the good. I've never had discover
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah you'll definitely get a Discover that far out from BK
Message 4 of 27
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

While there are no guarantees and with the limited information, I would say to first try the Discover pre-qual. You can also trying cold apping for the Discover as the pre-qual is not a solid indicator of approval. Best of luck OP!
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 27
Creditbuilder36
Frequent Contributor

My bankcruptcy was complete in May of 2011 At that time I recieved cards like Capitol One Secured And Credit One bank I still wasn't following my credit well enough back then so I unfortunately got hit with late payments and I also had a Merrick bank card that charged off I say that to say that is one of the baddies on my credit report as well as a Medical bill FasTforward to 2015. I was able to get the Quicksilver one card and the Platinum card which converted into a Quicksilver one card. I still have My credit one Card and the MasterCard version I also have a line of Credit from my bank attached to my checking account and a credit card through the bank. along with some store cards. The limits on my Capitol One cards are one is near limit and the other is at 50% of the 2000 limit I have between the both of them I believe that's what's holding me up from getting increases or even applying for a new card. this is what Chase told me I had a baddie on there even though my utilization was way lower than what it is now. And discover when I applied to them a couple of months ago they denied me due to my bankcruptcy but I hadn't hit the 5 year mark yet Sorry for rambling I think I'll try when my utilization is significantly lower than it is now
Message 6 of 27
padme
Established Contributor

3 yrs post BK 70k in limits but no lates or CO

Message 7 of 27
thummel
Established Contributor

I would definetly try for a discover that far out of BK. Don't bother with there pre qual though. It is pretty much useless and doesn't mean anything.
Message 8 of 27
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@thummel wrote:
I would definetly try for a discover that far out of BK. Don't bother with there pre qual though. It is pretty much useless and doesn't mean anything.

Of course we can suggest cards, but as always..YMMV.. But, IF you didnt burn AMEX, the soonest they will let you in is 5yrs post DC.  Ive seen a rare one two get the Delta Gold at 4 yrs, but rare. Seems to be the 5yr mark for many. Pretty much any lender could let you in at 5yrs, but Citi for their legacy cards are known to be around 7yrs in most cases. 

A lot of it will depend on 

1. your lenders that were IIB

2. your rebuild since your BK

3. any baddies post BK

4. scores

Tell us who youre thinking of applying for, and give us a little background on your current card situation/util and rebuild since your BK, and we can advise better.

It's all taken into consideration, and dont let it deter you from applying for a card you think you might be declined for.  Thats why recons are in place. Sometimes the "systems" will auto decline you just becuase the BK is showing on the reports, but you call in and recon it, and youre approved. 

Message 9 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover seems to be a great card IF you can get it. If you apply i hope you can get approved. Im almost 10 years post bk7, come next April so actually 9 or so right now, and ive never had Discover. Applied 3 times, 4 hps and no love . It seems Discover truely is YMMV as they are on both sides of spectrum on who they let in. I also agree the prequal site is the worst excuse for a prequal site. Good luck on your rebuild! Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.