Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5K bonus MR points for extended payment option

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: 5K bonus MR points for extended payment option

doesent this kind of blow a hole in the theory that amex doesn't want their cardmembers to revolve and would much rather all cardmembers to PIF. and to answer the question about zync, it already advertises this on it application page. so i not sure its the same program as the other charge cards.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 11 of 23
tray
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@tray wrote:

I have this one question if anyone can answer I recieved this offer also but I am hesitant because I always pay my charge card in full , but on the app is there a certain time period given that you have to set up for the extended period payment option for a large ticket item purchased for the 5K bonus points because I am sure Amex wants to make some money off the interest accured.  Thanks for any information given as I am just wondering if Amex is just giving 5K bonus points for just filling out an app only and if that is the case I am going for it as well!!!

I received the 5K bonus points two days after filling out the app.  I can't even find the option on my account to make a charge pay over time, so you definitely don't have to actually use the service to get the points.

Well I went for it and used the link you provided on your thread, thanks, although my billing statement that came out today it is offering me 1,500 bonus points instead of 5K so I will see what happens, I hope I recieve the 5K.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 12 of 23
tray
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

doesent this kind of blow a hole in the theory that amex doesn't want their cardmembers to revolve and would much rather all cardmembers to PIF. and to answer the question about zync, it already advertises this on it application page. so i not sure its the same program as the other charge cards.

I think Amex is trying all avenues to get more money out of their customers who have charge cards and who will actually use this option extended pay, as the longer you pay the balance the more interest money amex will get.

Message 13 of 23
Ron1
Super Contributor

I tried my Zync and it never worked.  It only worked for my Gold Card. 

Ron.

@chan85 wrote:

Does this only work with certain types of cards? I dont think this works for Zync cards. I tried it and it said unable to approve, or it may just be because it's a new account?

Message 14 of 23
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@tray wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@tray wrote:

I have this one question if anyone can answer I recieved this offer also but I am hesitant because I always pay my charge card in full , but on the app is there a certain time period given that you have to set up for the extended period payment option for a large ticket item purchased for the 5K bonus points because I am sure Amex wants to make some money off the interest accured.  Thanks for any information given as I am just wondering if Amex is just giving 5K bonus points for just filling out an app only and if that is the case I am going for it as well!!!

I received the 5K bonus points two days after filling out the app.  I can't even find the option on my account to make a charge pay over time, so you definitely don't have to actually use the service to get the points.

Well I went for it and used the link you provided on your thread, thanks, although my billing statement that came out today it is offering me 1,500 bonus points instead of 5K so I will see what happens, I hope I recieve the 5K.

Tray, I doubt they would be on your statement the day you applied.  It took a couple days for mine to show up.  In fact, when they first showed up in my MR balance total, they still didn't appear on my point summary online.  It took an additional day for the points to appear on my online MR points statement.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 23
Ron1
Super Contributor

They offered me 5K membership bonus when I enrolled the Extended Payment Option for PR Gold. I was instantly approved.  I got my 5K MR points within a month. At that time, I already had Select and Pay Later.  Not everyone will qualify for Select and Pay Later, Sign and Travel and Extended Payment Option.  I think it's for the Green, Gold and the Platinum.  By the way, they offer you and you cannot request it. I have it on my PR Gold. I never used it because the interest is 15.24%

FAQ from Amex:

https://search.americanexpress.com/app/answers/display/a_id/703/kw/Extended%20Payment%20Option

https://search.americanexpress.com/app/answers/display/a_id/3830/kw/Extended%20Payment%20Option

Ron.

Message 16 of 23
chan85
Established Contributor

thanks for info!!

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 17 of 23
Ron1
Super Contributor

The statement will look different when you have it.

Here is the example:

https://home.americanexpress.com/home/demos/billing-statement/consumerchargeloc.html

Ron.

Message 18 of 23
tray
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@tray wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@tray wrote:

Tray, I doubt they would be on your statement the day you applied.  It took a couple days for mine to show up.  In fact, when they first showed up in my MR balance total, they still didn't appear on my point summary online.  It took an additional day for the points to appear on my online MR points statement.

Just to clarify my thread, I just recieved the offer on my statement not any reward points, but on the offer it was only for 1,500 points not 5,000, but hopefully I get the 5K bonus points with the link you provided

Message 19 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@tray wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

I think Amex is trying all avenues to get more money out of their customers who have charge cards and who will actually use this option extended pay, as the longer you pay the balance the more interest money amex will get.

+1

And it's not offered to everyone. It's something that you'll see pop up on your screen after you've been with them for a while. I think they like to get a feel for how reliable you are as a customer (low risk) and how much you use the card (increased likelihood of getting some interest income from you.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.