Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5k in debt, how bad is this???

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: 5k in debt, how bad is this???

@Anonymous wrote:

When you start to feel the pressure of making your payments for whatever reason, dont worry about your score.....

Make your moves to take the pressure off of you so you can focus on paying your bills...

The last thing you should focus on is your score at this point. If moving it to one card will help you pay it down and ease your stress then do it. Your scores will recover.

You are not in a position where a good scroe will matter as the last thing you should be doing is seeking credit in this situation. So if they drop, who cares. If you get a CLD, who cares. Pay you debt, get in a comfortable place, and move forward.

5K may not be that much to some and may be the end of the world to others.

You made a good move, your just worried about the wrong thing....

I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. I mean, in premise, yes. If it's sink or swim (and all other avenues have been exhausted) then by all means, do what you need to do, scores be damned. But, if a higher score can get a 0% BT card which might relieve a lot of the pressure to pay, then a good score might be a good idea if it can be had fairly quickly. That being said, I think we all know when we are beyond that point and I think that is where your post assumes this person is, and they very well may be. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 11 of 12
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: 5k in debt, how bad is this???

Now is the perfect time to set up a budget. You have reasonable control of the debt and a plan to pay it off.

However, you are planning a trip with money you do not have (I believe I read correctly that you are planning a trip and will use credit). 

A budget can change your relationship with money & debt and that can be a great thing. I am a big fan of YNAB (you need a budget). I earn good money and I was tired of not knowing where it was going every month. Not trying to tell you what to do, but your future self will thank you...

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.