Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6% Groceries - BCP bummer

tag
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

6% Groceries - BCP bummer

I grabbed AMEX BCP for the 6% rewards on groceries. I usually buy groceries at Walmart or online via Amazon Fresh. I checked with AMEX to see if these qualify for the 6% and the rep said no. Smiley Surprised  

So now I'm wondering if it's worth it to have the BCP (6% of up to $6000) for $95 AF or if my unlimited 3% from navy federal AMEX with no AF is better. (NF said yes to walmart and Amazon Fresh)

Is it too late to PC BCP to BCE? Should I?

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: 6% Groceries - BCP bummer

I'm pretty sure you'd be getting 1% for both of those with Navy as well. It is exceptionally rare for Walmart grocery purchases to ever code as groceries, as it is a discount store. Similar to how if you buy snacks at a convenience store that sells gasoline, it will generally code as gas. And any purchase directly through Amazon (not Amazon Payments with other websites) will code as online shopping with Amazon.

Amex will likely not let you PC the card in the first year.

Message 2 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I expected more out of the BCP as well. Their 'supermarket' category is actually pretty strict so almost none of my spend gets that bonus. I knew Walmart and Costco and the like would not fall into it but I expected Fred Meyer and Safeway to. This was the card that taught me to look into what actually falls in a certain category before applying for a card.

I got one of the SUB's so I don't mind holding onto it for the first year but of $7500 worth of spend I've only gotten back $110. That also pays the AF but doesn't come close to what I would have had if I had just put all of that spend on my Limitless. And then there's the 10% back from restaurants that paid rather well for the first 183 days...

Here's the merchant example list: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/rewards-info/retail.html 

Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can buy Amazon gift cards at your local grocery store, but I have no idea if Amex would take offense at those transactions. If it's kosher that's 6% on Amazon Fresh. Probably sell Walmart ones too but I never looked.

I've heard rumors that some Walmart produce markets may code as grocery. Bet you can buy Walmart gift cards there to use at the big box version of the store.

The card also offers 3% on gas (unlimited).

Amex is pretty clear on their site what types of stores are allowed. Always make sure to read all the fine print before apping!
Message 4 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You can buy Amazon gift cards at your local grocery store, but I have no idea if Amex would take offense at those transactions. If it's kosher that's 6% on Amazon Fresh. Probably sell Walmart ones too but I never looked.

I've heard rumors that some Walmart produce markets may code as grocery. Bet you can buy Walmart gift cards there to use at the big box version of the store.

The card also offers 3% on gas (unlimited).

Amex is pretty clear on their site what types of stores are allowed. Always make sure to read all the fine print before apping!

The problem is that grocery stores only get a 1% return. You have to find stores that code as supermarkets. Definitely a great example of reading the fine print, though.

Message 5 of 46
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'd be getting 1% for both of those with Navy as well. It is exceptionally rare for Walmart grocery purchases to ever code as groceries, as it is a discount store. Similar to how if you buy snacks at a convenience store that sells gasoline, it will generally code as gas. And any purchase directly through Amazon (not Amazon Payments with other websites) will code as online shopping with Amazon.

Amex will likely not let you PC the card in the first year.

My PenFed Platinum Reward and BoA 3-2-1 both code Walmart as grocery.  Makes it really easy to rack up a lot of points with PenFed.  

Message 6 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife's regular Blue Cash card codes Wal-mart Grocery as a grocery store, thus we always get the 3%. 

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my BCP a few weeks ago and have been testing every local "food" store with a small purchase. My Target doesn't work, as expected, going to try Walmart tonight as I have both a super store and a grocer version a few minutes away in opposite directions.

My grocery stores all likely code properly and I typically shop there because they do daily "must go" red tags on the foods I eat. So I save 60-70% there plus the 6% back, works out amazingly well.

Annoyed that the BCP might be $6000 calendar year not anniversary and there's no way I'll spend even $1000 in 2017!
Message 8 of 46
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Annoyed that the BCP might be $6000 calendar year not anniversary and there's no way I'll spend even $1000 in 2017!

What?!?! Seriously?? That'll change my long term goal then. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I read on other forums, haven't been at a desktop browser to verify. I am out of the country for 25 days from now until Jan 1 so my grocery spend likely will be $600-$700 instead of $1000-1200... Even so, $1400 spent in 2017 covers the AF early! Just barely... will get all $6000 next year for sure
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.