cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 months into the journey - what´s next?

tag
shakalaka
Established Contributor

6 months into the journey - what´s next?

Hello all,

long time reader, first time poster. Learned a lot here, thank you for this. Now I have a few question about my journey.

I am from Europe, working here since March for an indefinite time. Opened my first credit card in March after receiving my SSN. I now have:

• CapOne Newcomer Limit $300, will increase to $500 in October (credit steps), opened in March
  • CapOne secured Limit $1000, openend in April
  • Aliiant CU Limit $500, opend in May

I also bank with Alliant since April. So I guess I am in prime land a little bit with Alliant, even so the limit is not big yet.

Always PIF, in the moment my Util is 29%, but only because I was on vacation last months and did miss to pay before the statement cut on my secured CapOne. Will be back to 0% end of next week, after all cards have updated.

I have 4/6/3 inq. on my reports (TU/EQ/EX), no recent one. Last inq. is from May. Ofc no lates or other negs. No Fico yet, but have also not tried to get it. Should I? Credit karma tells me 681 (714 according to the simulator once my Util is 0% again), credit sesame 701.

I travel a lot for my company and also pay everything of my private life with credit card. Most of this with my Alliant Visa. Of course I do couple of payments a months with the actual limit. At least Allinat does not mind that, CapOne always wants to verify the payments and places a hold on them. Even on the secured card ... well, well. That´s the way it is. Happy there is CapOne for building/rebuilding but ...

So, I am now at almost 6 months history. Anything I can do, should do? I would like to have a card with higher limit ofc. And would like to get into Amex ofc. I guess charge will be the first to go, even so Delta Amexco (I fly always Delta) will be a future goal.

Any advise, when I could try Amex? Or any other card I could try? Or maybe try to increase the Alliant limit?

If it matters, income is near 6 figures (mine not household), so this shouldn´t be an issue in getting a prime card I think.

Thanks all in advance for the advice.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: 6 months into the journey - what´s next?

Increase limit for Allient.....more deposit on Capirtal one if you can afford it....

Amex zync ......you still new.....some maybe just 1 department card ....like gas card ......Macy or Walmart.....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

YES AMEX! - Apply for Zync.

Wait 6 months on CLI Alliant

I WOULD pull at least your TU from here at myFico.

Also check "Pre-Approved" at Discover Card. - I have not seena  pre-approval offered and then denied, but I would not apply without the offer.

If you get Zync, and then get CLI in couple months from Alliant I would then check Discover again for Pre-Approval and pick a Citi Card - Probably Forward in my opinion (not student) You won't be able to check for pre-approval but it would be worth the INQ if you ask me because next to Amex and it's 3x CLI on revolvers Citi gives the biggest and most often CLI without HP Credit Report each time... I believe Alliant does do HP though!

Message 3 of 11
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

She only had credit file for 6 months I'm doubt to get approved for Discover......

Message 4 of 11
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Yes Alliant CLI is hard, okay I wait until I have a little more history with them.

Try Zync now (after my Util has gone down next week)?

No pre approvals from Discover or Amex, checked this morning Smiley LOL

I will keep Citi in mind for near future (after CLI from Alliant)

What if I pull TU Fico here and still have no Fico, will I get an information once first score is available?

Thanks

Btw He not she :-)

Message 5 of 11
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Oh sorry he...LILO...you can find out about those stuff on the main menu ......Fico product......

Message 6 of 11
shakalaka
Established Contributor

He He no problem

Will do so

Thx

Message 7 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Im not sure Fico charges you if you have no file available?

I dont' think a little Util. will hurt you with a card like Zync.

new or not the pre-approval on Discover I have found to not fail in the multiple apps I have seen... so id keep using it.

Message 8 of 11
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Thx, will try my score when I have little time (at work right now) and Zync on the weekend

will report the results ofc

keep my fingers crossed

thx

Message 9 of 11
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

If CreditKarma and CreditSesame give the OP scores, doesn't this mean the OP has a file on TU and EX, at the very least? Otherwise CK/CS wouldn't be able to generate a score... no?

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.