cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 months of credit history. What card is possible for me to get?

tag
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Re: 6 months of credit history. What card is possible for me to get?

I've had a checking account with Chase with somewhat regular activity for 4 years now. I didn't think that would help much so I haven't tried at Chase

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 21 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only apply for cards you need. Agree with others - you need to wait at least 12-13 mo since your opening date with Discover.

What income did you put when you apped?

If you use Amazon regularly and or have prime for 1+ year you could apply for Amazon Store Card. Not from Chase. I'd suggest you to apply on Prime Day because you will get $50-75 off from your purchase just for applying. 

My first card was Cap One secure. I got Amazon Prime Store card 6 months later and 1 year later I apped for Chase Freedom and got it. You could try a similar path, but I'd definitely recommend you to wait 3-6 mo before applying for Amazon. 

Message 22 of 39
luxlight
Regular Contributor

I do use amazon a decent amount but only being able to use the store card on amazon kinda turned me off from it. I put $20k my second app but first time was $14k. I do truly want the citi thank you preferred and chase freedom. I used up my prime 6 month trial and bought another year of it. Chase amazon card looked really really good tho. I know that was kinda confusing but basically i do want the cards I’m applying for and only really like the chase amazon card instead of the store card

FICO 8 Scores

Message 23 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also a college student and like you, got my first ever tradeline (Discover) about 7 months ago. Got the Freedom 3 months after the Discover but I don't have any student loans and have never exceeded 5% utilization. Just give it a couple more months and you should be good.
Message 24 of 39
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

I've had a checking account with Chase with somewhat regular activity for 4 years now. I didn't think that would help much so I haven't tried at Chase

I don't think Chase has a student card, but it might be worth visiting a branch and asking about it.

But in any event, you should follow the advice you've gotten on here and hold off for another 6 months at least.  Discover is a great card to start with (that's the card I got when I was a freshman in college myself).  There's no need to rush into adding more accounts on top of that one.

Message 25 of 39
luxlight
Regular Contributor

They probably don't. And even if they do, its probably not going to be as good as the Chase Freedom card which i want. I'd rather wait it out and get the card I'm shooting for

FICO 8 Scores

Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

You and I are in similar positions. I work at Amazon full-time and also go to school as a sophomore; please trust me when I say I’ve considered their card and been in your position with a 10% discount. It’s not the solution and they won’t approve you with your current stats anyway.

The other posters are right about not applying until you absolutely NEED the credit at your step. I’ll get you an example of how having even your FICO score good and sitting on it can help you.

My average age of accounts is a year and six months. I also have about a 710 FICO w/ Experian.

When I decided I finally wanted to make a big purchase, I went to an orthodontist and not a car dealer. Before I went, I applied for CareCredit and was approved for only $1K. Then, spent the next month ringing up $300 worth of charges at Rite-Aid. I paid it off. Halfway through the next month, I repeated. The day of my orthodontist visit, I applied for a 10K increase and was approved for 7K (my first big line).

The cost was $4,500 after my $1500 work benefit for the braces. I was able to negotiate a discount of over $1,000 extra at the end of my visit by simply using my ability to “pay in full” for a purchase (still financed for 24 months using CareCredit at zero percent). I was already prepared to pay $3K in advance at the 6K price, but kept my money, saved $1K, and still am going to get the smile I want. Now, when I put that money towards repaying CareCredit, I’m expecting other lenders to match my limit there so I can join the club half the other members are in with 10K and 20K limits.

Basically, the point is that good credit should be more of a bargaining tool to save as much money as possible, not just an attempt to open up cards and get $500 here or $1000 there with 6 or 7 inquiries on your report.
Message 27 of 39
luxlight
Regular Contributor

I understand what you're saying. The cards i applied for, I intend on keeping for a long time. The citi card, i hoped to use it for a year then PC to Double Cash and around after a year of AAoA, getting the Chase Freedom Card. I don't have too many inquiries on my account at the moment so not too bad. My EX FICO 8 score is a 706 and TU FICO 8 score is a 711. In a good spot, just need to stick with my current card.

FICO 8 Scores

Message 28 of 39
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

Did you check amex prequals? you might have a decent chance at getting approved. I'm prepping to get in with chase for CSP and I can tell you a Checking acc wont hurt if anything it might help. Get in with Amex BCE or ED, and ask for 3XCLI in 61 days hopefully that'll put you in 5-10K limit. Then wait another 6 months and check chase prequals. Even if there are no offers go ahead and cold app, freedom isnt hard to get after a year.

Message 29 of 39
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Yea i tried amex prequalifier and it recommended blue cash everyday and amex everyday card. And concerning Chase, I've had a checking account with them for 4 years so it might help me in a year when i apply for the freedom card. Would getting the amex blue cash everyday help out alot?

FICO 8 Scores

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.