cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 months of good secured card history. What next?

tag
uroosa1
Established Member

6 months of good secured card history. What next?

My broher has started building his history few months ago when i told him of the importance of it

and this where he's at and was asking for me for advice on his next step.

Boa Secured   - 500cl - 7 months.

us bank secur  - 300cl-  6 months.

wells F secured - 300cl-  6 months

kohls joint/AU    - 500cl - 3yr 10 mo   (He was first a AU on his wife's kohls card but said he sent in papers for joint) Does this add all of his wife's history?

no baddies. no lates. only positive info

income 60k yr/  utilz is about 6%

only 1 inq on equifax. no other inqs.

Where can he go from here? which prime cards are obtainable?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: 6 months of good secured card history. What next?

@uroosa1 wrote:

My broher has started building his history few months ago when i told him of the importance of it

and this where he's at and was asking for me for advice on his next step.

Boa Secured   - 500cl - 7 months.

us bank secur  - 300cl-  6 months.

wells F secured - 300cl-  6 months

kohls joint/AU    - 500cl - 3yr 10 mo   (He was first a AU on his wife's kohls card but said he sent in papers for joint) Does this add all of his wife's history?

no baddies. no lates. only positive info

income 60k yr/  utilz is about 6%

only 1 inq on equifax. no other inqs.

Where can he go from here? which prime cards are obtainable?

Try GE backed card.

My first choice would be Wal-Mart Credit Card. It gives free TU08 score and will grow with you.

Edit: Who do you bank with? Try them also.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Hmm. He can go for some more store cards if he likes, but for many prime cards 6 months is still too soon...you're risking denials, recons, or toy limits. I would recommend a Discover though, based on his credit history! They're excellent at reconning or offering a different product if he gets denied due to short history!

Message 3 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

6 more months (or more) is next!   

Only the Kohl's history is counted in his history, nothing else of his wifes.  

Message 4 of 11
uroosa1
Established Member

i meant does kohl add the whole 3yrs of history if recently filed for joint or just the last few months.

Also with it being joint it is alot better than AU rigjt?

Message 5 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@uroosa1 wrote:

i meant does kohl add the whole 3yrs of history if recently filed for joint or just the last few months.

Also with it being joint it is alot better than AU rigjt?

Yes and Yes.

Message 6 of 11
eviLution
Established Contributor

How did he managed to get 3 secured CC with only 1 inquiry? Those cards are only 6-7 months old too

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 7 of 11
brother7
Established Contributor

You didn't mention scores. I'd pull reports and scores, just to make sure everything is as clean as you make it sound.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 8 of 11
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

You didn't mention scores. I'd pull reports and scores, just to make sure everything is as clean as you make it sound.

+1

Also add more money 1k --> 3k to his secured credit card. Usually credit card company like to see how you handle big money. I suggest garden more for another 6 months increase current limit then apps for some meanful CC. You dont want to end up get some card that you dont want it then realized you going to cancel them soon. Do some research for some interest card that best fit him.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

i would do as others have suggested and have him start with pulling his FREE Credit Report's from annualcreditreport.com. They tend to have more info on them than ones from a 3rd party. The Credit Reports from annualcreditreport.com, come directly from each of the CRA's. Your brother can pull 1 Free Credit Report from TU, EQ and EX every 12 months.

tell him to save his money and Don't Buy the Scores, they are what we call FAKO's.

From there he can make sure there are no baddies out there. Also; he could get a secured loan and / or a wal mart card or old navy card at this point... I recommend those two because they are fairly lenient; plus they can be upgraded to major credit card versions of the store card.

He may want to pull his TU scores from here also.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.