Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

61 Day CLI: >3x?

tag
djrez4
Established Contributor

61 Day CLI: >3x?

Plenty of chit chat about the 61 day CLI all over the web, but what I haven't seen mentioned is whether people try for and get CLIs greater than 3x.  

Amex thinks they took a risk on me by handing me a $1200 True Earnings.  Based on my report at the time, they weren't wrong to think that.  However, between the True Earnings and the Gold, I've charged about $3200 over the past 2 months.  It's not a huge amount, but it's decent.  I was restricted by the True Earnings limit and the fact that I've decided MR points don't do much for me right  now.  Most of my spending has been on the Freedom and More.  $7700 through the More and $4600 through Freedom.

My CLI day is today and I'm going to hit the button when I get home.  With the More reporting a $16k limit and the Freedom at $5k, I have an urge to ask for more than 3x the current limit.  $3600 just isn't all that much, relatively speaking.  

Does anyone have experience getting a 61 day CLI larger than 3x?

EDIT - about 45 seconds after posting this, I thought to myself, "wow, that's really up there on the scale of problems to have."  I imagine a similar issue showing up in a tweet from some ignorant teenager: "Will @amex #CLI me on my @costco card?  OMG can't decide!  #FML"

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: 61 Day CLI: >3x?

I would stick to the 3x CLI request.  You have some good limits on the other cards and not knowing your DTI ratio I would tend to be more cautious.  Get the 3x CLI now and in 6 months then go for more. 

While I havent researched it here, I imagine that the mantra of 3x CLI at 61st day has been fairly tested in the past.  AMEX had a reason to give you the limit they did and I doubt little has changed in the 2 months since you started using the card to really change their mind too much.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol.. A teenager wouldn't be able to get an Amex...
At 23, I feel proud to have gotten the Amex BCE!!!
Lol so don't feel bad...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 14
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

I would stick to the 3x CLI request.  You have some good limits on the other cards and not knowing your DTI ratio I would tend to be more cautious.  Get the 3x CLI now and in 6 months then go for more. 

While I havent researched it here, I imagine that the mantra of 3x CLI at 61st day has been fairly tested in the past.  AMEX had a reason to give you the limit they did and I doubt little has changed in the 2 months since you started using the card to really change their mind too much.

Ye of little faith, Duncan.  I've removed a collection in that time and increased my FICO by more than 20 points.

But really, what's the worst they can do?  Counter?  Decline?

Message 4 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Ye of little faith, Duncan.  I've removed a collection in that time and increased my FICO by more than 20 points.

Flag your account and decide to hit you with FR, comes to mind.  If you want to go for it then see what they say.  I'll be going for my 3x CLI on Nov. 23 for my Delta card (going to ask for 6k as my current CL is 2k).

Message 5 of 14
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@djrez4 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Flag your account and decide to hit you with FR, comes to mind.  If you want to go for it then see what they say.  I'll be going for my 3x CLI on Nov. 23 for my Delta card (going to ask for 6k as my current CL is 2k).

Not particularly afraid of financial review.  I have the docs to back up my income.

Message 6 of 14
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Well, still it is a hassle. And you never know the outcome. Do not wake the beast Smiley Very Happy

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 7 of 14
djrez4
Established Contributor

Asked for $5k.  7-10 day message.  We'll see!

Also, CSP arrived.  It's really pretty.

Message 8 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Good luck to you. Over 4x current CL. Lets us know what they say.

Message 9 of 14
djrez4
Established Contributor

Negatory and no counter.  I'll receive an email explanation soon.    I'm guessing too many new accounts.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.