Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

640 FICO score, trying to decide which CC would be best

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

640 FICO score, trying to decide which CC would be best

Hello all, I really apppreciate the help I've gotten on these forums. My husband and I both brought our scores up about 100 points, bought a house about 9 months ago, and were just approved for a $3,000 CC through our credit union. We each have a couple of toy cards (household, first premier, etc.) and a home depot card with $2,000 limits.

I am so excited about getting some decent CC's, and we would like to apply for one more so that we can close our toy cards soon (I hate fees). So, that would make 2 total applications in the past six months. Which card should we go for? I had a Capital One account years ago that was charged off and settled, so I don't know if they would take me back. I keep getting offers from them and Amex. Should I apply through one of the mailed offers? I tried the credit card match thingy through this website, and the only one it suggested was Cap One.

Any advice is appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Gh0st
Contributor

Re: 640 FICO score, trying to decide which CC would be best

I hear good things about credit unions such as nfcu,penfed and alliant.

My mother has the same fico score as you and got a 18k credit line from nfcu. Her other card was an orchard for $400. She  has a judgement on her credit report too( might have been removed though at time of app, went to court). Granted, she did have a small loan from them and showed timly payments and also a nice income (100k).

If you have an in, give them a shot. They  can be  very liberal with their credit. 

In regards to amex, I've seen people with your credit score get in. But i'll leave thaat for others more experienced. My opinion,  credit unions will often be more easy going and give better credit limits. 

.Believe.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.