Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

735 score & Discover More turned me down

tag
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

735 score & Discover More turned me down

I thought for sure I was would be approved for this card and I called in to very info and she said I had too many recently opened accts. They pulled EQ I think. They want to see at least 1 yr of revolving credit.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Re: 735 score & Discover More turned me down

I would never apply if I have too many recently opened accts (less than a year).  It'll be a red flag to them and they see you as risky.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they offer u the HSBC Direct Rewards card? I was denied and was offered the Direct Rewards which I declined. A week later I received that card in the mail and on my CR. Let me know if that happens to u
Message 3 of 11
-RED
Regular Contributor

They will pull more than one CR, in most cases 1 hard pull on one, and 1 soft on another.

Look and you should see a soft on Experian most likely. 

They are super picky, and might be a bit over-rated considering.

-800 or Bust...!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have new accounts an allot of resent inquiries you can forgot it an that's from my own experience.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joestay wrote:

I would never apply if I have too many recently opened accts (less than a year).  It'll be a red flag to them and they see you as risky.

Agree.

Some, like PenFed, would even consider accounts younger than 2 years old to be "new."

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card issuers have become increasingly paranoid in the past year or two, and credit score is not the only criteria anymore. Specific factors - such as utilization percentage, number of inquiries, or number of new accounts - are being given extra weight by some banks, and in some cases trump a "good" score and result in a declined application. Additionally, Discover is known to be a comparatively conservative issuer ...

Message 7 of 11
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

I shouldn't have applied but since I was on a roll, got JCP, Lowes & QVC, thought I'd give it a shot. From reading in other forums people with less of a score were getting approved. I gave it a shot. I have all these cards with low limits I wanted to try for a big branded card. Oh well. I wasn't offered anything else.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mnegron1969 wrote:

I shouldn't have applied but since I was on a roll, got JCP, Lowes & QVC, thought I'd give it a shot. From reading in other forums people with less of a score were getting approved. I gave it a shot. I have all these cards with low limits I wanted to try for a big branded card. Oh well. I wasn't offered anything else.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago try again 2 years from now if you really want the card that's what I'm going to do but it will be my last time i apply for the card cause i have wasted many inquiries with them over the years with 0 results.

Message 9 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@mnegron1969 wrote:

We see this happen over and over. Now you have all the store cards, but no "big branded card." You lost the Discover because of the others.

For those who want the bigger, tougher to get cards....don't fill your wallet with the store cards first. People get them because they're easier to get. It gives them a feeling of accomplishment...but, in the end, it hurts your chances for the cards you'd really like to have.

There is a place for store cards when rebuilding or building credit. So....get ONE. Not a whole stable. They will hurt you in the end.

Just my opinion from reading lots and lots of similar stories here in the forums...

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.