Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

75% Utils Help.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

75% Utils Help.

Hi,

I have recently started paying rent ($750) on a Citi Forward card ($1000 CL) and pay it off on the day that the transaction post. Is that a really bad thing to do? Since I pay it in full before the statement cuts, it shouldn't affect me FICO-wise, but does it negatively affect CLI with Citi later down the road since they see me using 75% of the aviliable credit? I have had this card since Nov 2010, never got a CLI.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: 75% Utils Help.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I have recently started paying rent ($750) on a Citi Forward card ($1000 CL) and pay it off on the day that the transaction post. Is that a really bad thing to do? Since I pay it in full before the statement cuts, it shouldn't affect me FICO-wise, but does it negatively affect CLI with Citi later down the road since they see me using 75% of the aviliable credit? I have had this card since Nov 2010, never got a CLI.

Thanks.

I don't think you should have any problem with this. IMHO, you may find it easier to get a CLI as you can call them and tell them you need a CLI as you are going through a whole lot of pain managing with this CL

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could put my rent on my amex...for the points Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 7
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it was possible, I would take a chase aarp right now and get something like 40$ in cb just from rent.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you pay your rent in cash at the leasing office?  You could try buying coins from the Mint's direct ship program.  And then use those to pay your rent.  I have no idea if this still works.  It's discussed ad nauseum at Flyer Talk and elsewhere.  Basically, people will buy dollar coins from the mint and then use those coins to pay off their credit card bills to get the miles.  The mint changed the rules so that you have to agree that you won't immediately deposit them in the bank but rather introduce them into circulation.  You can also only buy $1000 worth every 10 days or something like that.  Of course, there doesn't appear to be any enforcement of the restriction against depositing them with the bank.

I've read that some credit cards stopped awarding points for it, but I don't know which ones.   Again, I'd direct you to Flyer Talk.  In any event, you'd be complying with the terms because you wouldn't be depositing them in the bank.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Michigan and we use a site call rentpayment.com to pay our rents, for the last few months I have been paying with ACH transfers but now I will use my CC to pay rent and pay it in full the next day...

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you pay your rent in cash at the leasing office?  You could try buying coins from the Mint's direct ship program.  And then use those to pay your rent.  I have no idea if this still works.  It's discussed ad nauseum at Flyer Talk and elsewhere.  Basically, people will buy dollar coins from the mint and then use those coins to pay off their credit card bills to get the miles.  The mint changed the rules so that you have to agree that you won't immediately deposit them in the bank but rather introduce them into circulation.  You can also only buy $1000 worth every 10 days or something like that.  Of course, there doesn't appear to be any enforcement of the restriction against depositing them with the bank.

I've read that some credit cards stopped awarding points for it, but I don't know which ones.   Again, I'd direct you to Flyer Talk.  In any event, you'd be complying with the terms because you wouldn't be depositing them in the bank.

Thanks Walt...Im very aware of the coin thread on FT...Ive followed it for awhile now. No, I cant pay in cash. Even if I could, honestly, I wouldnt do the coin thing. I rather enjoy my FR-free Amex's (so far) and the points they bring. I dont want to shake the cart by trying to manipulate the system.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.