Did you mean: 

$7500, $5000, $300

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: $7500, $5000, $300

@axledobe wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:
Those are the credit limits I have on my three cards. The first is from Discover, the second is Cap1 and the last is from Fifth Third.

I recently tried to raise the credit limit on my Fifth Third account only to be denied because of "insufficient satisfactory credit obligations" (no idea what this means) and "too many inquiries last 12 months" (there are, with this inquiry, a grand total of THREE inquires on my Equifax report). I'll be honest; I'm a bit miffed. 10 years and I can't even get a CLI???

It's like they don't want me to use the card at all.

To me, this is the same as Experian's blurb of "too few accounts currently paid as agreed", which basically means a thin file.  I'm in agreement that you should probably open another card or two and close them.  That's just obnoxious. 

If your reports are app ready, I'd go for a couple of good cards and tell them to shove their $300. 

EDITED:  spelling

Yup, thin file.

In this instance I'd open up 2 more accounts before I closed the Fifth-Third but it's pretty clear the card isn't necessary nor is it likely used either.

        
Message 11 of 19
blk8
Regular Contributor

It means you dont have enough open accounts for them to make a solid decision.

You closing that account will make it even worst for another creditor to review. Leave it alone and ADD (NOT CLOSE) more tradelines to your file.

If it were me, I would app for 2 solid cards and do the shopping cart trick for another (since they are stating you have several INQ already).

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 12 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

If you have 10 years history reporting it's time to tell 5/3 where to go.  I would at least pick up an Amex and Barclays Sallie Mae.  Chase Freedom might compliment your Discover rotating categories well.

Message 13 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Blk8 I wouldn't head the denial letter if a creditor is during me $300 CL when I have $5k+ lines!
Closed accounts report for 10 years and $300 is not helping util which would be the only possible negative of closing so I think op should for sure close but also open 2-3 new cards from the list of suggestions by the kasses
Message 14 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Masses
Message 15 of 19
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:
Those are the credit limits I have on my three cards. The first is from Discover, the second is Cap1 and the last is from Fifth Third.

I recently tried to raise the credit limit on my Fifth Third account only to be denied because of "insufficient satisfactory credit obligations" (no idea what this means) and "too many inquiries last 12 months" (there are, with this inquiry, a grand total of THREE inquires on my Equifax report). I'll be honest; I'm a bit miffed. 10 years and I can't even get a CLI???

It's like they don't want me to use the card at all.

I agree with everyone who says to nuke the card. They obviously don't want your money, so don't give it to them. I'd go for an AMEX or Barcaycard Arrival or Sallie Mae, unless you want a low APR, in which case, go for the Ring. You could also look at the Citi Dividend or Chase Freedom for additional 5% category coverage. Bank of America also has some decent cards too (like the Better Balance card which is a free $120/year, and the Cash Rewards, which is similar to the AMEX BCE).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 16 of 19
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Cut that $300 card up, put in an envelope and send it to them with a letter that says "BYE".

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 17 of 19
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@blk8 wrote:

It means you dont have enough open accounts for them to make a solid decision.

You closing that account will make it even worst for another creditor to review. Leave it alone and ADD (NOT CLOSE) more tradelines to your file.

If it were me, I would app for 2 solid cards and do the shopping cart trick for another (since they are stating you have several INQ already).

This. As good as it will make you feel to feed the card to the shredder or your pet piranha, closing the account isn't the right thing at this time. 

blk8's idea of 2-3 more cards sounds good.

1) Pay off and set 5/3 aside for 6-12 months

2) Find a card or two you like and that your scores suggest will be promising, and

3) look at the shopping cart thread to see if any store cards are likely to be of use to you and go for one or two of those (there are some Visa/MC in there but they're not as easy to get--only one I've been offered is Sportsmans Visa)

Run some normal spending through the new cards, pay in full, and enjoy the increases.

Then in 6-12 months after you've gardened those tradelines, go back and close out 5/3. Only reason not to keep it at $0 balance is if you have any fees on it. 

That's what I'd do (and in fact, pretty much what I'm doing with a major bank's card that got made useless this year). 

EDIT: If you have a good banking relationship with them (i.e. could go in to a branch and talk to someone), maybe follow up for a personal recon. If not, carry on as above. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 18 of 19
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Close the fifth third and get in with a good bank. you already have discover with a good limit. Try chase and amex!
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.