tag
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Re: 765 - 799 score but no credit history

@blakeem wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@blakeem wrote:

My credit report shows no payment history. Chase said they report the history and it's up to the credit bureau to report it or not.
This means although it says I have the card it doesn't show my history of payments on it.

At least this is what I assume from what they told me.

that's such BS... credit reporting agencies are simply that reporting what is sent to them... they don't choose not to report things sent to them.  I have not read this thread so I don't know about the screen shot and maybe I'll go back and read but just based on the statement chase reports but agency has chosen to not report is simply not true.

Okay update to my original post... It is reporting and very much does show the history. So sounds like some others have stated the same that the dealer telling you that you have no history might have been a misunderstanding that you have no accounts of your own, just this 1 AU account and for such a purchase they want to see you handle something that you are responsible for.

I would apply for a few credit cards (3) and I would skip secure unless you find yourself denied for the first 2 you apply for then I might step back and apply for secured but have you tried to apply for any credit cards before this auto lease?

I would apply for Citi Forward

Chase Freedom

Discover it

American Express Gold

Walmart Discover or PayPal Mastercard would be great options also.

I applied for Chase Freedom and was denied. I tried to apply on the phone using information other than my credit report and was still denied. I did a budget recently and I have around $1600 left over a month after bills/food/gas/etc and I have direct deposit so perhaps this will get me in good with a credit union to get a credit card or loan. As an authorized user I've always paid it off on time. I don't want to apply for a card again only to be rejected.

I'm going to go talk to some credit unions again, I think that's my only option.

OP, have you reconned with chase? I think you might be able to convince them since you are likely paying this bills and have been for years. A quick call and personal appeal could be all you need to get the account approved. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 51 of 57
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Recon would be a good idea. However, Chase usually does not factor in AUs accounts. But it doesn't hurt to ask again. In the meantime, I'd look into a CU. SDFCU.org has a secured card without a Hp.
Message 52 of 57
blakeem

@Crashem wrote:

Your credit score is basically a BS score as it is based on one AU account.  Basically, more lenders will ignore that and treat you like you have never had credit before (which you haven't).

I did have a 0% interest for 6 months Newegg card that I put a couple thousand on and paid off so I always figured I had credit. I have also had a few leases over the years without any late payments.

Message 53 of 57
blakeem

@shols44 wrote:

@blakeem wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@blakeem wrote:

My credit report shows no payment history. Chase said they report the history and it's up to the credit bureau to report it or not.
This means although it says I have the card it doesn't show my history of payments on it.

At least this is what I assume from what they told me.

that's such BS... credit reporting agencies are simply that reporting what is sent to them... they don't choose not to report things sent to them.  I have not read this thread so I don't know about the screen shot and maybe I'll go back and read but just based on the statement chase reports but agency has chosen to not report is simply not true.

Okay update to my original post... It is reporting and very much does show the history. So sounds like some others have stated the same that the dealer telling you that you have no history might have been a misunderstanding that you have no accounts of your own, just this 1 AU account and for such a purchase they want to see you handle something that you are responsible for.

I would apply for a few credit cards (3) and I would skip secure unless you find yourself denied for the first 2 you apply for then I might step back and apply for secured but have you tried to apply for any credit cards before this auto lease?

I would apply for Citi Forward

Chase Freedom

Discover it

American Express Gold

Walmart Discover or PayPal Mastercard would be great options also.

I applied for Chase Freedom and was denied. I tried to apply on the phone using information other than my credit report and was still denied. I did a budget recently and I have around $1600 left over a month after bills/food/gas/etc and I have direct deposit so perhaps this will get me in good with a credit union to get a credit card or loan. As an authorized user I've always paid it off on time. I don't want to apply for a card again only to be rejected.

I'm going to go talk to some credit unions again, I think that's my only option.

OP, have you reconned with chase? I think you might be able to convince them since you are likely paying this bills and have been for years. A quick call and personal appeal could be all you need to get the account approved. 

I have called Chase many times over this and I often get conflicting information from different people adding to my confusion. I did do a personal appeal over the phone after being rejected online and I wasn't approved.

It varies but about around 1/4th of what has been charged on the card is mine. I mostly use my check card because I almost always have cash. I'd use the credit card for my car and gas mostly.

Message 54 of 57
blakeem

Mission Federal recommended a normal CC with $500 limit based on my income. I will know the results tomorrow. Their checking and savings are far better than Union Bank so switching seems a good idea regardless of credit. I can't believe I put this off so long.
Message 55 of 57
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@blakeem wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Your credit score is basically a BS score as it is based on one AU account.  Basically, more lenders will ignore that and treat you like you have never had credit before (which you haven't).

I did have a 0% interest for 6 months Newegg card that I put a couple thousand on and paid off so I always figured I had credit. I have also had a few leases over the years without any late payments.

Reading my statement again.  It came off much harsher than I intended.  In any case, my point was your score really is leading you astray in your thinking on where your credit is.

As for the leases and newegg, are they on the credit report?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 56 of 57
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Credit scores are only one part of the equation. History is the other part that you have unfortunately found out the hard way.

Because you don't have a credit history it is very important that you establish one as quickly as possible. The best way to do this is with credit cards.

You should apply for 3 CCs now. These are my suggestions:

Capital One Classic with the $39 annual fee.

Walmart. It comes with a free Trans Union monthly credit score when you sign up for electronic billing. It is also managed by GE and they are very generous with CLIs.

Your local Credit Union. It will be a great place for car loans and mortages down the road. Start that relationship now.

Once you have these 3 credit cards just sit back and garden them for 6 months, then apply for 2 more cards. You need to build a wide and deep base for your credit future. You should eventually have 6 to 8 credit cards for a year or two and then you can close a few that you don't need. The closed cards will stay on your report for 10 years and still be adding good karma to your credit reports then.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 57 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.