Reply
Senior Contributor
O6
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500


janicel wrote:

my fico from the mortgage lender: 796, 802, 782

 

I have around 5 credit cards, highest CL $30,000 BOA

 

I got the Costco AMEX $4000 CL for more than 7 years, AMEX never CLI or CLD me.  recently applied for SPG AMEX, approved for $2500 CL only?

 

what's wrong?

 

 


It could be a number of reasons such as DTI or their internal evaluation of how much you use their card.  If you don't use it much they could think your current limit is sufficient.

IAALBNYL
Established Contributor
Watchmann
Posts: 985
Registered: ‎05-14-2008

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500

AMEX does things according to their own standards and underwriting policy, so just having high FICO's won't seal the deal with them.  I've had an AMEX account since 1980 and applied for a SPG card in 2005 and was immediately given a CL of $25,000 which has not changed since then.  My FICO's at the time were in the 750 range.  If you need more CL give them a call and see if they can work with you on it..  Is there anything else in your file that 'isn't quite right'?

New Member
janice12
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎09-03-2010

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500


Watchmann wrote:

AMEX does things according to their own standards and underwriting policy, so just having high FICO's won't seal the deal with them.  I've had an AMEX account since 1980 and applied for a SPG card in 2005 and was immediately given a CL of $25,000 which has not changed since then.  My FICO's at the time were in the 750 range.  If you need more CL give them a call and see if they can work with you on it..  Is there anything else in your file that 'isn't quite right'?


everything in my report is perfect, and am not carrying any balance at all, but I don't use cc a lot that's true. It's just kinda strange, BOA would give me $30K, Citi would give me $15K, Chase would give me $20K.......but AMEX gave me $2.5K and HSBC gave me $2750

New Contributor
techman2008
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎10-25-2008

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500

Glad i'm not the only one.     These are the times :robotindifferent:


Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
Erin86
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎08-07-2010

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500

If you were completely honest with them on your application, I would suggest you call and ask for a CLI. The worst that can happen is they'll review your $ info!

Senior Contributor
O6
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500


Erin86 wrote:

If you were completely honest with them on your application, I would suggest you call and ask for a CLI. The worst that can happen is they'll review your $ info!


No, the worst they can do is conduct a FR (Financial Review) and force you to authorize release of your tax informaion for the past couple of years, ask for your W-2s and then give you a CLD or close your account.

IAALBNYL
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,114
Registered: ‎04-01-2007

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500

[ Edited ]

OP, maybe it's because this is an additional card, and they're dividing whatever total amount of credit they want to extend to you between the two cards.

 

Did you give household income or just personal? (I forget if AmEx allows the option of HHI.) If you used HHI, then they might even be evaluating your DH's card in total credit as well. One household with three lines of credit (CC's) totaling $18K might be as far as they want to go right now.

 

Just some maybes.

 

My Blue started out at $2500, but I did an online CLI request after a year or so and got $5K. (I wasn't about to try the 3X bit. :smileyvery-happy:)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
stan_the_man
Posts: 855
Registered: ‎06-29-2010

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500

Amex asks HHI for apps and CLIs.

New Member
janice12
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎09-03-2010

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500

[ Edited ]

haulingthescoreup wrote:

OP, maybe it's because this is an additional card, and they're dividing whatever total amount of credit they want to extend to you between the two cards.

 

Did you give household income or just personal? (I forget if AmEx allows the option of HHI.) If you used HHI, then they might even be evaluating your DH's card in total credit as well. One household with three lines of credit (CC's) totaling $18K might be as far as they want to go right now.

 

Just some maybes.

 

My Blue started out at $2500, but I did an online CLI request after a year or so and got $5K. (I wasn't about to try the 3X bit. :smileyvery-happy:)


yeah my hubby gave me his SPG additional card, amex may have count on it. feeling better now :smileywink:

 

$5K would be enough for me....I just want to stay at W hotel for free:smileyvery-happy:


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+