tag
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

9 months AAoA, High (80%) Utilization, 100% On Time Payments

Scores:

Credit Sesame : 682 Experian

MyFico : 663 Equifax

Credit karma : 688 Transunion

Currently have a Wells Fargo $1K Secured card. I don't really need credit, I transfer money from my checking account to cover my credit balances. I haven't been in the U.S. long, and want to become more established. I don't have a job, I'm a fulltime engineering student, but I have an income of $1800 a month transfered to my account.

Want to apply for some of the premier cash back cards, but I don't know if I have a shot, even though I receive tasty pre-screened offers ( Discover It  and Amex Green ) I quickly learned from this website not to take those too seriously Smiley Sad

I know it's kinda lame but when you're a 'nobody' in a country, a card can say a lot, can make a statement of sorts Smiley Tongue.

Should I apply now, or add some more money to my secured card ( say another $800 ) to lower utilization, and apply after a few months?

Also there seems to be a 30 point difference between my Quizzle FAKO and the Creditsesame one.

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: 9 months AAoA, High (80%) Utilization, 100% On Time Payments

@kaskuli wrote:

Scores:

Credit Sesame : 682 Experian

MyFico : 663 Equifax

Credit karma : 688 Transunion

Currently have a Wells Fargo $1K Secured card. I don't really need credit, I transfer money from my checking account to cover my credit balances. I haven't been in the U.S. long, and want to become more established. I don't have a job, I'm a fulltime engineering student, but I have an income of $1800 a month transfered to my account.

Want to apply for some of the premier cash back cards, but I don't know if I have a shot, even though I receive tasty pre-screened offers ( Discover It  and Amex Green ) I quickly learned from this website not to take those too seriously Smiley Sad

I know it's kinda lame but when you're a 'nobody' in a country, a card can say a lot, can make a statement of sorts Smiley Tongue.

Should I apply now, or add some more money to my secured card ( say another $800 ) to lower utilization, and apply after a few months?

Also there seems to be a 30 point difference between my Quizzle FAKO and the Creditsesame one.

Welcome to the forum

80% UTL not happening

What cards would you like? 

AAoA is a little short but depending on what cards you're considering may be possible.

Anytime you can add money to a secured card is always a plus for higher limits from lenders when they see your CR they may match but that all depends on how the card reports 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 42
thecentury303
New Contributor

You and I have almost the same credit profile.

It might be worthwhile to check my credit cards journey Smiley Happy

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Message 3 of 42
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

If you add money to your secured card to lower util you will still be at 44% util which is too high. You would be better off paying off the balance, imo. 

If you can pay off the balance AND add money to up the limit, then that would be the best.

Message 4 of 42
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

Also, don't worry about quizzle and credit sesame scores. Those are pretty useless, and you are the only one who will ever see them (except us myficoers, of course Smiley Tongue)

Message 5 of 42
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

What if I send a copy of all my deposits into my checking account, over the last 12 months, verified by the manager of my bank branch. Around $70K, would that help?

What cards do I want? The cards that everybody wants...hehe

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 6 of 42
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I'll pay off the balance, add to the limit and just use my debit instead.

Wells Fargo told me they'd be graduating me to unsecured in September though.

Message 7 of 42
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'm, not sure what bank deposits would prove. What are you going to put down for employment? Also, some cc's require US residency-enharu is the expert in that territory.
Message 8 of 42
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

You can use your card, but try to only let 10% util report. 

And thats great about them unsecuring your card! 

Message 9 of 42
myjourney
Super Contributor

@kaskuli wrote:

What if I send a copy of all my deposits into my checking account, over the last 12 months, verified by the manager of my bank branch. Around $70K, would that help?

What cards do I want? The cards that everybody wants...hehe

Your accounts will not come into play if you cant get through the approval process...and the cards that work for me may not work for you.. Not being rude but before applying for any cards know what you want and why it works for you  
We see a lot of people apply for cards because everyone else wants them only to find out later they don't know how to use them... the rewards don't pay off for them and they're stuck with an AF.
I would suggest you do a little research on what suits your lifestyle and start there. IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.