Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 months AAoA, High (80%) Utilization, 100% On Time Payments

tag
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

Re: 9 months AAoA, High (80%) Utilization, 100% On Time Payments

I'm going to follow your advice and not app for anything, thanks guys for all the timely feedback.

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 21 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

..... Best of luck. I hope you know what you are doing.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 42
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP, I'm going to remind you that this forum has guidelines regarding unethical behavior.

I'd strongly advise you to refrain from lying on applications. There are laws against this sort if behavior.
Message 23 of 42
myjourney
Super Contributor

@kaskuli wrote:

On my application I lied and checked the U.S. citizen box.

Anyway, I'll pay everything off and start walking around with bags of cash. This is the world we live in I guess, where we have to play these silly games.

I would advise not to lie on any  apps AKA legal documents and certainly don't walk around with large sums of cash in these hard economic time for your own safety LMAO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 24 of 42
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Just for your own information, making a claim that you are a us citizen when you are not is a huge issue. I don't know if you even plan in getting a green card but if you do, they will ask you if you have ever claimed the be a USC at any time during your stay and if you have it is almost always an instant denial. They do extensive background searches which include you financial information. You should never even do that. I've dealt with immigration for years with my wife and that is one thing they take very seriously. On a side note I think you would likely get the discover card. I got mine with only 2 months credit history. If they are sending you offers you should apply. If you don't get it, it's only one HP of one CRA, it's not as big a deal as most will make it out to be.
Message 25 of 42
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. Not a good idea.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 26 of 42
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

Looks like a struck a nerve, I didn't think that fib was gonna be that big of a deal. Seriously.

I'll speak to the manager at my local Wells Fargo branch to see how we can go about correcting the "mistake".

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 27 of 42
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Sorry to burst your bubble but lying about your US citizenship on a financial document is a big deal. It's easy to downplay the general reaction by calling it as "struck a nerve" but I would caution you that that type of unethical and illegal behavior is taken seriously, not only on the interwebs, but also in real life. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 28 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

@kaskuli wrote:

Looks like a struck a nerve, I didn't think that fib was gonna be that big of a deal. Seriously.

I'll speak to the manager at my local Wells Fargo branch to see how we can go about correcting the "mistake".

See, you're mistaking something.

I don't care if you lied on your application or not. You're not my relative, nor do I know you in real life. Even if you get into trouble with the USCIS or law enforcement for having committed fraud, it does not affect us in any way whatsoever. And honestly, even if I do know you even in real life, I may not even care unless I plan to establish a business or personal relationship with you. And everyone else on the forums pretty much feels the same way. So I don't see how you could have struck any nerves when most people don't even care. 

Anyhow, back to topic.

Like you said, talking to a branch manager is definitely a good way to get that worked out. Most likely he'll ask you for your passport, I-20, I-94, student visa, and possibly paystubs, and that should be it. Your account will be converted to another type in the backend, but from your perspective, nothing will change. This is assuming that Wells Fargo do not decide to close your account for fraud. I doubt they will, since mistakes like this sometimes do happen, especially if it's just a one time occurance.

As for whether this will affect your visa status presently or in the future, I don't think it will affect you, provided that this is the first and only time this has ever occurred. If you have committed fraud more than once, or if you run into any kind of legal problems, it's best you consult an attorney. No one here can really help you with regards to that.

I was in the same shoes as you are in before I got my green card. It's really no big deal, and there's certainly zero need to lie on any app. Some bank, such as Barclays, will not work with you, and for those that are willing to, the underwriting requirements are just a little different, sometimes a little harder, and they usually ask for more paperwork, and that's mostly it. Definitely not something I would commit fraud for. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 29 of 42
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

Spoke to my bank manager about being a non-permanent U.S. resident. She lol'ed. Asked when my expected graduation date was, I said 12/2014. Then she asked if there was anything else, I said no. Asked if I was interested in some other savings account yadda yadda yadda ( the stuff they try to sell you all the time ) .. then reminded me I would be switching to Wells Fargo Unsecured in one month...

When I got home, I opened the mailbox.

ANOTHER Discover It "Pre-Approved" letter. Third one in two months ...*sigh*

I decided to apply, and website was experiencing technical difficulties so I had to chat with a rep ... she asked for my name, phone no and last 4 of my ssn...

APPROVED! $2500 ( I was expecting maybe $800~$1000 )

GOD BLESS AMERICA

These people aren't stupid ( CC companies ), they probably know more about you than you know about yourself. High utilization, short history whatever ... there are ways to identify people who know how to manage their finances. I don't plan on using this card for anything but gas right now, but that limit will do wonders for my utilization going forward.

Beyond 2014, I don't know if I have a future in this country, but while I'm here I am going to behave like a responsible citizen and keep my file squeaky clean.

She said it would be up to 5 business days. If anyone wants juicy details, it's gonna be a while.

=========================================================================================================================================

Then I called Amex Green "Just to Ask" if it was okay for me to enter Student - "Unemployed" on the application, they said yes, because they looked at MAAAAAAAAANY factors.  After a loooooong conversation, I was APPROVED. Honesty... always so bloody efficient eh?

This is what I was originally after. 1 charge card to manage small recurring expenses, and a cash back card with a decent limit and decent rewards based on my spending patterns.

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.