Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Couple Questions

tag
Calculon
Valued Member

A Couple Questions

I have an American Express Blue card that I'd like to get over to the Blue Cash Card to use at the local grocery store where I spend a couple thousand a year and I'd get 3% cashback.  I called American Express today to see if I could flip over to the Blue Cash card, but was told I would need to apply to get it.  I was wondering if this was normal?  Last year Capital One let me flip over to the Quicksilver card without having to reapply.

Right now I've got five cards:

Capitial One Quicksilver

Citibank Double Cash

American Express Blue

Discover It

Chase Freedom.

I was wondering whether if there's another card I should look at for cashback purposes?  Thanks for any help.

QSD ITAMEXDCFRSM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Couple Questions

From what I know, you can change a Blue card to a Blue Cash Preferred or Blue Sky Preferred, but not regular Blue Cash or Blue Sky.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your target is groceries; Sallie Mae. It's 5% cash back up to $3K per year. Also 5% on gas up to $3K per year. Also 5% on books up to $9K per year, and Amazon codes as books. And 1% on everything else.

Message 3 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Well Sallie Mae is only $250/month (well, statement period), may not be enough for OP but BCE could be a nice supplement. Of course, once you've had SM for 6-12 months, you could always get another one Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

Well Sallie Mae is only $250/month (well, statement period), may not be enough for OP but BCE could be a nice supplement. Of course, once you've had SM for 6-12 months, you could always get another one Smiley Happy

The OP stated they spend a couple thousand a year on groceries. The SM is ideal.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

The OP stated they spend a couple thousand a year on groceries. The SM is ideal.

Why not get the BCP instead of the BCE.  Yes, there is an AF, but spending $1250 a year on groceries and you've made up for the AF (6% back).  That's only 104/month on groceries.  I guess it depends on OPs spending.  I look at me personally.  We spend 320/month on groceries (which I feel is very hard to keep that low) and we get more back from BCP then the SM.  But if it is only 1-2k then yea SM is where it's at.

Message 6 of 7
Calculon
Valued Member

Thanks all for the replies.  That Sally Mae does seem like a good fit for because $250 is probably a bit more than a spend there and it would be more cashback.

What's everyone's opinion on closing a card?  If I did get the Sally Mae, I'd have little need for the American Express and have not been using it much lately.  Hard to believe a few years ago, I was happy with one card, but now have five.

QSD ITAMEXDCFRSM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.