Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Farewell to Zync

tag
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

Re: A Farewell to Zync

Closed mine last night and got the Amex PRG instead. Zync just felt entry level to me

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 31 of 37
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I suppose if there ever was a $25 fee 0.50% rewards (1% retail non-cash gift cards! LOL) card I'd pay for, it'd be this one.

Hate to admit it, but I do have a little bit of an irrational preference for Amex charges.  It's far and away my favorite form of credit card payment. I just wish they wouldn't charge so much for the privilege of paying in full within 30 days, or raise the rewards a little.  At least, waive the forex fee on a $95 card like Chase does on the CSP.

I agree with this 100%.

I wish Amex would waive the Forex Fee on the PRG...  seems like for $175 AF its the least they could do.

It's odd to me because they waive the foreign transaction fee with Bluebird and that isn't even a credit card. They waive it with the Platinum family of cards, but even Capital One's secured cards have no foreign transaction fees.

It's because their target demographic for these cards (green/gold/plat) do not care about saving money.  I mean lets face it, almost any other rewards card has better rewards than MR has to offer.  They figure whoever already pays $95 for horrible rewards and mediocre CS could care less about a 3% FTF.  Now the demographic that the BlueBird targets is different.  3% here would mean not being able to afford that extra item at Walmart.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 32 of 37
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

A haiku ode to your farewell:

Oh Amex truest
You are the very newest
Member of my trash

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 33 of 37
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

It's because their target demographic for these cards (green/gold/plat) do not care about saving money.  I mean lets face it, almost any other rewards card has better rewards than MR has to offer.  They figure whoever already pays $95 for horrible rewards and mediocre CS could care less about a 3% FTF.  Now the demographic that the BlueBird targets is different.  3% here would mean not being able to afford that extra item at Walmart.

LOL. I was thinking that people who have to have a prepaid debit card, instead of a chequing account, probably aren't the ones to be leaving the country anyway. I do see it how you're putting though and you are probably right.

Message 34 of 37
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

You will have to pry my unicorn from my cold dead hand before I give it up. $25 for 20 years of backdated goodness plus the fun of throwing it down every-now-and-again. Worth it.

Plus, just got $25 gift card from AMC with $5 statement credit. Those alone can pay for AF.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 35 of 37
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: A Farewell to unicorns?

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but they're doing targeted offers under the "my offers" tab on the Unicorn.  I used my card at Olive Garden last night, and by morning I had an email confirmation of 5 dollars back on 30 spent.  That's over 15% cashback, and 20% of my annual fee in one transaction.

They also have an offer for 25 bucks back on 100 spent at Sony...  If I need anything from there, it covers the AF in one transaction.  Best of all there's no special online mall or gift cards.  I saw the OG one a few weeks ago, selected it, and forgot about it until I used my card and got the bonus.

There's not that many offers yet, but I'm hoping it will grow.

Message 36 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: A Farewell to unicorns?

If small business Saturday continues, this card will always pay for itself.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.