My total % should be a little under 25% credit used

My probelem i face is age of credit

Average Account Age
0Yrs 7Mos
Oldest Open Account
1Yr 4Mos  <------------ (Student Loan)
Newest Open Account
0Yrs 2Mos

So i really want a not secured Discover it card and a chase Freedom - im just trying to figure out the best way to achieve this

Current Scores are:

Experian - 649

Equifax - 647

TransUnion - 658

I have so many cards so my overall available is higher, but i really just want a couple cards with credt line increases and no annual fees. I a[[;ied to discover and they said about the age of credit issue and turned me down. And i also bank with Bank of america, but have yet to be approved for a non secured boa cc , because my % was over 50% when i did apply.

Any tips or ideas or recommendations?

8 REPLIES 8
msbia
Established Contributor

Re: A Little advise needed

Only tip I have is to garden the credit accounts you have for 6 months to a year. Use the Capital One cards a lot and pay them in full. Do the same with Discover. You may be turned down for Chase Freedom because of your app number, but check the prequalification site. Be patient and use what you have for now. Your secured Discover may unsecure in a year with good credit usage. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 2 of 9
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@msbia wrote:

Only tip I have is to garden the credit accounts you have for 6 months to a year. Use the Capital One cards a lot and pay them in full. Do the same with Discover. You may be turned down for Chase Freedom because of your app number, but check the prequalification site. Be patient and use what you have for now. Your secured Discover may unsecure ina year with good credit usage. 

This. Also to add to build your limits up during this next year so when you get approved hopefully your higher limits will get you a nice limit with Disco and Chase. If you manage to get approved it'll more than likely be a low, low limit similar to what you have. Discover could grow fast but I've read that CLI's are hard to get on Chase. So try to make your profile as good as it can be in a year or so that way when you do get approved it'll be for a nice limit and favorable terms.

Personal:

Business:

Message 3 of 9
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I agree too. Best thing you can do is just wait and let stuff age up.

Message 4 of 9
Chris679
Established Contributor

If you are 7 months into the game and you are already opening accounts to pad utilization then you are getting off to a very bad start. No new accounts for 12 months. In the mean time work on getting CLI and getting cards unsecured. If it were me I would close Fingerhut too.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys,

I just did a request to increase credit on my oldest card (Cap one plat) and they gave me an extra $1000!

So ill stick with that , SO my overal limit is now $4000

• BANK

DUE DATE

LIMIT

BALANCE

% NOW

Bills

PAY TO 25%

Score Update

Credit One

3/01

25.99%

0 MONTHS

Fingerhut

3/02

23.39%

3 MONTHS

Discover (S)

3/05

15%

8 MONTHS

Bank Of America

3/06

26.3%

11 MONTHS

Capital One Plat

3/13

8.3%

12 MONTHS

Cap One Quick Sil

3/13

25.27%

2 MONTHS

Geico

3/13

Nordstroms

3/14

6.16%

3 MONTHS

Fed Loan

3/20

16 MONTHS

CRE

3/21

BMW

3/26

6 MONTHS

Kohl's

TBD

25%

0 MONTHS

18.66%

772 +

=

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

Current Credit accounts are:

1) Credit One Platnum - $400 Limit

2) Fingerhut = $500 Limit

3) Discover it (Secured) - $200 Limit

4)Bank of america card (secured) - $300 Limit

5.Cap one platnum mastercard - $500 Limit

6.Cap one Quick Silver - $500 Limit

7.Nordstroms store card - $300 Limit

8.Khols Store Card - 300 limit

My total % should be a little under 25% credit used

My probelem i face is age of credit

Average Account Age
0Yrs 7Mos
Oldest Open Account
1Yr 4Mos  <------------ (Student Loan)
Newest Open Account
0Yrs 2Mos

So i really want a not secured Discover it card and a chase Freedom - im just trying to figure out the best way to achieve this

Current Scores are:

Experian - 649

Equifax - 647

TransUnion - 658

I have so many cards so my overall available is higher, but i really just want a couple cards with credt line increases and no annual fees. I a[[;ied to discover and they said about the age of credit issue and turned me down. And i also bank with Bank of america, but have yet to be approved for a non secured boa cc , because my % was over 50% when i did apply.

Any tips or ideas or recommendations?

The best way to get to where you want to get is to stop applying for things. and let your accounts age. No more store cards for you, even when your scores rebound.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@msbia wrote:

Only tip I have is to garden the credit accounts you have for 6 months to a year. Use the Capital One cards a lot and pay them in full. Do the same with Discover. You may be turned down for Chase Freedom because of your app number, but check the prequalification site. Be patient and use what you have for now. Your secured Discover may unsecure in a year with good credit usage. 

+1 OP

A very well stated case to a solid financial healthy profile 

Bravo msbia 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:
If you are 7 months into the game and you are already opening accounts to pad utilization then you are getting off to a very bad start. No new accounts for 12 months. In the mean time work on getting CLI and getting cards unsecured. If it were me I would close Fingerhut too.

+1

@Anonymous @South Jam mentioned STOP APPING...youngster

You can't skip TIME and seasoning and you are KILLING yourself with all this apping...adding more and more 'training wheel' CL's

but that's what happens when you look 'thirsty' for a bunch of little limit cards AND you actually put balances on them.

C'mon you CAN'T have

$200 Di's

$300 BoA's

Credit Ones

and Fingerhuts

AND have conversations about util%'s

Congrats on the Cap-1 CLI (this is what they do and the WAY to go about this)

Calm down on the 'wants' and mind your graden...water your accounts ALLOW the sun and your water to WORK it's magic but for

the LOVE of credit STOP apping...

Seriously Cap-1 as well as the Di will SP for CLI's w/o you taking on anymore HP's allow your pulls to age off

I believe the BoA may graduate (check that) and even Cred-1 for some will CLI w/o HP

slow down on the usage of the store cards (at least the 'reported balances) but to me because the QS gives cash back I don't see why to use

the store cards w/o a special from them very sparingly...

Let the cards grow, we seem to always forget just how short of a time 7 months is let alone 12 or 18 months ...it'll happen you'll be fine, you're doing fine

just let up off the app gas Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.