Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A New Chase Credit Card Every Year???

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

A New Chase Credit Card Every Year???

So I received a renewal Chase CC in the mail, as my existing card expires 02 / 14.     However, as I called in to activate the new card, I noticed that it has an expiration date of 02 / 15.    12 months !

Anyone know if this is just Chase?   Or a new approach to cut down on fraud?   Am I going to have to get a new card every year going forward?

I know that my AMEX cards are valid for 4 years, and this is the first time that I can remember getting a new card that's only good for a year.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: A New Chase Credit Card Every Year???

@pizzadude wrote:

So I received a renewal Chase CC in the mail, as my existing card expires 02 / 14.     However, as I called in to activate the new card, I noticed that it has an expiration date of 02 / 15.    12 months !

Anyone know if this is just Chase?   Or a new approach to cut down on fraud?   Am I going to have to get a new card every year going forward?

I know that my AMEX cards are valid for 4 years, and this is the first time that I can remember getting a new card that's only good for a year.

My Discover It card is valid for 5 years...... I have not heard or read anything about a CCC  doing it every year.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I recently got a Freedom (non-renewal) this is valid till 10/16, and I can't think of a reason why new cards would be less restricted than renewals (but could imagine the other way round).  So maybe just a mistake?

Message 3 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

Likewise, the Freedom I just received last month has a 2017 expiration.

Message 4 of 11
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

prob a mistake, or its their way of saying we are watching behave or we are cutting you off- i highly doubt its the later though

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 5 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@phillyguy12 wrote:

prob a mistake, or its their way of saying we are watching behave or we are cutting you off- i highly doubt its the later though

Seriously I'm thinking that is exactly what is going on.   They don't feel so good about my outlook as a cardmember.......Haha Cat Very Happy

Message 6 of 11
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

That's odd...I never saw that before. It's probably nothing to worry about.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@pizzadude wrote:

@phillyguy12 wrote:

Seriously I'm thinking that is exactly what is going on.   They don't feel so good about my outlook as a cardmember.......Haha Cat Very Happy

Maybe it has something to do with EMV? Arent they supposed to be online in 2015?  Then again, I could be grasping at straws. 

pizzadude- Get your bonuses in and spent by then just in case.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 11
Vikz27
New Contributor

That used to happen a lot where i used to work. The only did it when account information was compromised. They only change the experiation date and cvv code in order to avoid fraudulent transactions.

that means someone hacked chased getting account info for multiple people, or a place where you used your card was compromised and Visa notified chase bank of the problem and hence Chase has to change the card info to avoid fraud. Thats the reason they want you to activate so that they know you have the new one and the old one stops working completly.

Message 9 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@09Lexie wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with EMV? Arent they supposed to be online in 2015?  Then again, I could be grasping at straws. 

pizzadude- Get your bonuses in and spent by then just in case.  Smiley Wink

Not sure of their plans for chip & pin cards.....but Ima goin straight to the dollar tree and charge $1.08 to this card.   Gonna splurge, it's been in the sock drawer for too long anyway......Cat Tongue

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.